Peripatetic Persistent Pirate Puffins' Pacific Peregrination*: SF to Tokyo (898 of 1708 hours to go!) 🐧
posted March 2, 2021 9:11 AM   RSS | iCal | +googleCal

Sat April 24 at 8:00 PM
Part 1. Part 2. You say it takes 1708 hours of peregrination* to get from SF to Tokyo. We're coming along! The more you (dear reader) log your hours, the sooner we'll have gone the distance. Join any time. Track our progress. Wondering what's out there with us? lemonade made an app for that. Now! With Official Puffin Mascot S.F. Tokyo, Pirate (they/them)!
*Inclusive definition of peregrination. Includes (but is not limited to) archery, biking, bouldering, canoeing, cleaning, couch to 5k, dancing with babies, dancing/jump roping/hula hooping your way down the sidewalk, geocaching, going very slowly and stopping to smell the snails, hiking, hopping, ice skating, jogging, jumping with and/or without ropes, kayaking, pacing back and forth, paddle boarding, parkour, Ring Fit Adventure, rock climbing, roller blading, roller skating, running, skate boarding, skipping, snowshoeing, swimming, strength training, surfing, treadmilling while watching TV, triking, unicycling, vacuuming, wheelchairing, X-country skiing, yard work, zebra crossing crossings, etc.
posted by aniola to Online (25 comments total) 2 users marked this as a favorite

Maybe THIS time I'll remember to log my hours daily and not have to put them in in enormous chunks! Or maybe not. We get to Japan either way.
posted by The corpse in the library at 11:37 AM on March 2 [2 favorites]

We're making good progress!
posted by aniola at 12:07 PM on March 2 [2 favorites]

I just logged 2 hours from the past 3 days. Trying to log my time at least once a week. Thanks for sticking with it, aniola!
posted by Bella Donna at 1:35 PM on March 2 [1 favorite]

Well, and everyone else, too, of course!
posted by Bella Donna at 1:36 PM on March 2 [1 favorite]

I ended up listing my January and February hours in a single chunk, but I'm going to shoot for Bella Donna's goal of weekly logging. Thanks! Now when I don't want to walk, I can tell myself to take one for the team!
posted by MonkeyToes at 5:40 PM on March 2 [3 favorites]

So close to half way!!!

This has totally made me more active.
posted by kathrynm at 8:12 AM on March 7 [4 favorites]

Awesome, me too!

Puffin of the day
posted by aniola at 4:27 PM on March 7 [3 favorites]

Just logged my past 7 days of walking. Didn’t see the new entry but I think it’s just a glitch. 4:5 hours total, which is better than I expected. We can do this!
posted by Bella Donna at 10:02 AM on March 8 [1 favorite]

I have to go through and manually re-sort from Z to A before new entries will show at the top of the log instead of the bottom. Haven't figured out how to get it to do that automatically yet.
posted by aniola at 12:38 PM on March 8 [1 favorite]

If anyone cares, let me know and I will get around to figuring out how to automate it. I am operating on the assumption that I'm nearly the only one who reads the log.
posted by aniola at 7:45 PM on March 8

Who did the grocery store run for forgotten strawberries? Let me know if you want credit for it, I'll get your user name in there.
posted by aniola at 7:48 PM on March 8

(reading the log is one of my favorite parts)
posted by aniola at 10:21 PM on March 8 [1 favorite]

I did the grocery store run.,

And i like reading the log too.
posted by kathrynm at 11:06 AM on March 9 [2 favorites]

honorary puffin of the day
posted by aniola at 3:07 PM on March 9

The honorary puffin post was pretty fun! Those are my favorite kinds of posts. And science Twitter posts.

I read the log too! It's fun to see the little things people notice, and the different activities we're all doing. KathrynM, amazing job getting to Week 5 of C25K, getting to Week 5 of anything is an achievement! (I am a serial plan starter...)

Also you guys make me laugh...
'climbed a mountain, turned around'--The corpse itl
'did yoga instead of taxes'--aniola
posted by lemonade at 10:17 PM on March 10 [2 favorites]

Thank you lemonade! lemonade made a tab that auto-sorts the data Z-A for us. Thanks, lemonade! Now nobody needs to wait for me to update 'em. <3
posted by aniola at 2:46 PM on March 11 [1 favorite]

btw looks like we are legit over halfway there.
posted by aniola at 2:47 PM on March 11 [2 favorites]

If you have access to Secrets of the Zoo: North Carolina, S1 E13-14 have puffins on them. They aired in December, but they've been sitting on my DVR.
posted by kathrynm at 7:03 PM on March 15 [1 favorite]

Puffin cams are coming back online for the spring! 10pm in CA is 6am in the UK and perfect for for a few minutes of puffin watching time.

Shetland’s puffins return to the cliffs at Sumburgh Head

Each morning particularly the Puffins gather on top of the Hide before heading out to sea. (Up close and personal!!!)
posted by lemonade at 10:24 PM on April 14 [2 favorites]

Is this a meetup?

If I refuse to move from my couch for whatever reason can I still attend said meetup?

Reasons include: desperation, despair, depression, demoralization, etc.

But I love me some puffins.
posted by bendy at 3:02 AM on April 15 [3 favorites]

bendy - you can count trips to the fridge and bathroom.
posted by aniola at 6:14 PM on April 15 [2 favorites]

... and you can watch the puffins with us and tell us about the highlights here in this thread :D
posted by aniola at 6:19 PM on April 15 [1 favorite]

This thread and the progress log are the full extent of the meetup. (But sometimes I think about how I'm actually walking across the Pacific with my internet friends when I cross the street back and forth like 8 million times when I'm out for walk.)
posted by aniola at 6:20 PM on April 15 [2 favorites]

You are not currently logged in. Log in or create a new account to post comments.