Remote Non-synchronous Relay Walk*: SF to Tokyo (1708 hours)
posted October 15, 2020 8:42 AM   RSS | iCal | +googleCal

You say it takes 1708 hours of walking* to get from SF to Tokyo. The more you (dear reader) log your hours, the sooner we'll have gone the distance. Join any time.
*Inclusive definition of walking. Includes (but is not limited to) kayaking, canoeing, paddle boarding, surfing, swimming, running, jogging, wheelchairing, snowshoeing, rock climbing, bouldering, skipping, hopping, dancing/jump roping/hula hooping your way down the sidewalk, going very slowly and stopping to smell the snails, etc.

UPDATE
I was thinking, it's going to take a lot of hours to cross the Pacific! So I threw together a Google Form to track the hours. I will also add hours for anyone who doesn't want anything to do with Google (I'm not quite there yet).

Log your hours here (short link) or here (long link).

Track our progress here - Note the "Are we there yet?" link at the bottom (I haven't figured out how to direct link to it.)
posted by aniola to Online (17 comments total) 2 users marked this as a favorite

Help me out here: am I obligated to walk some part of the distance from San Francisco to New York City, or can I simply track my hours of walking wherever I might be? I like your idea, it’s just unclear to me if I can participate.
posted by Bella Donna at 12:17 PM on October 15

Track your hours of walking wherever you are!
posted by aniola at 4:18 PM on October 15 [1 favorite]

aniola, please consider posting about this on MetaTalk if you want others to join in. I checked IRL as a lark; otherwise, I would have totally missed this. Just a thought, and thanks for the idea!
posted by Bella Donna at 1:04 AM on October 16

After this, can we walk over the Pacific to Japan to see Ghidora and others?
posted by Bella Donna at 1:07 AM on October 16 [1 favorite]

Absolutely. We're still in San Francisco, so we could turn around and go there first if you'd rather! How long do you think it takes?

You can post to metatalk if you want! I was figuring it can start slow and a crowd can join over time. I will update the date as needed til we get where we're going.
posted by aniola at 7:58 AM on October 16

Nah, I'm good on the MetaTalk front but thanks. Today I put in more than an hour of walking, skipping, and dawdling. So 1 hour down here in Sweden. Alas, Google will not let me calculate the amount of hours required to walk to Japan from San Francisco and swimming was not listed as an option. :-) I will post a question about this.
posted by Bella Donna at 12:28 PM on October 16

I’m not able to open the first link
posted by gt2 at 3:30 PM on October 16

gt2 the form link works fine on my computer even when I'm logged out, so I'm not sure what's going on. It's a short link, so I added a long link, see if that works?
posted by aniola at 5:03 PM on October 16 [1 favorite]

Thanks! That long link works.
posted by gt2 at 5:34 PM on October 16

So I was not paying that much attention and did not log my hour of walking yesterday but now I have. aniola, thank you so much for the great Google Sheet tracking our progress! I also appreciate the switch to walking to Japan from SF, as I suggested. So kind. Also, fun! Like, I did not expect this to be motivating, I just thought it would be fun. But now I'm all, hmmm, when and where will I be walking toward Japan today? Good work, my Internet friend.
posted by Bella Donna at 3:34 AM on October 17 [2 favorites]

I'm a little slow here (really tired). Is the idea that we each put in our time and work to get to 1708 hours total?
posted by medusa at 4:50 AM on October 17 [1 favorite]

You've got it, medusa!
posted by aniola at 7:55 AM on October 17

This is fun! Thanks, aniola, for putting it together.
posted by gt2 at 12:50 PM on October 17 [1 favorite]

Got it! I added time in the short link. Looks like mine was added to the end of the google sheet, is that ok? The other entries from today are up top.
posted by medusa at 8:57 PM on October 17

Next question: based on the inclusive definition of walking I think rock climbing counts. Do you agree?
posted by medusa at 8:58 PM on October 17 [1 favorite]

New entries automatically go to the bottom of the spreadsheet. I will be re-sorting manually because I think new entries should be at the top. Unless someone knows how to tell the spreadsheet to do that automatically?

Rock climbing is added!
posted by aniola at 7:08 AM on October 18

Also medusa - short link and long link go to the same place. Not sure why Google gives two options.
posted by aniola at 7:18 AM on October 18

You are not currently logged in. Log in or create a new account to post comments.