Brooklyn Backyard Cookout/Potuck
posted August 13, 2019 8:39 AM   RSS

I'm thinking about having a cookout/potluck meetup in mid September. I'm posting this to gin up interest to see if we can get a critical mass.
I've got a big backyard, big gas grill and pizza oven, access to cheap wine and beer, and my house is a five minute walk from the J train (10 minute walk from broadway junction A,C & L trains).
I haven't hosted a meetup in years and figure it's time to put some faces behind the usernames again.
The weekend of Sept. 14th or 21st either day either weekend works for me, so weigh in on your preferred dates.
I'd love to include some kind of fun activity for people to do, so any suggestions welcome on that front.
Please post a comment if you think you can attend and let's make this happen!

Edit:
It looks like it's a go! Yay! I'll confirm a date and time right after Labor Day.

I'm pretty sure my yard past the patio area is big enough for cornhole, as long as being on a slope doesn't matter.

So, the last time I hosted a mefi potluck was, as stated, several years ago and it was a ton of fun. Are you all down for a potluck? We can theme it if you like (death of the Megathread theme dishes, weird stuff only my family ate that I would now like to subject others to dishes, I've been wanting to try making this dish and nows my excuse to give it a try and this is my first attempt so good luck guinea pigs, or something along those lines).

Please keep suggestions for days, times, activities, themes (if we want one) flowing in!
(also, I posted this as a comment first not realizing I should just add it to the OP, apologies. )
posted by newpotato to Proposed (14 comments total) 1 user marked this as a favorite

This sounds great! I should be able to attend.
posted by ferret branca at 9:38 AM on August 13

Yeah, I think I could do either day. That sounds like fun!
posted by UltraMorgnus at 5:37 AM on August 14

Sounds spectacular, but don't yet know my obligations in September. Happy to show up with an elaborate snack or dessert if I can make it.
posted by larthegreat at 5:46 AM on August 14

Woohoo! I’m down.

As far as activities, cornhole is a classic if you’ve got the space.
posted by ocherdraco at 7:52 AM on August 14 [1 favorite]

I don't have anything planned for the 14th or the 21st, so both would work for me, but I'd lean very slightly towards the 14th as I have tickets for a show the night of the 20th.
posted by SansPoint at 8:00 AM on August 14

Excellent! Hope I can make it. All the dates are equally good / unknowable for me, though I'm much likelier to make it in the evening than in the afternoon.
posted by miles per flower at 10:40 AM on August 14

Another bid for the evening, but thus far I could make either weekend. Thanks for making it possible.
posted by Violet Blue at 11:56 AM on August 14

This sounds wonderful and I'd love to come! Either day works for me.
posted by umwhat at 5:22 PM on August 14

I believe either weekend would work for me. I'd vote not the evening (maybe late afternoon to spit the difference?) because a) I go to bed early and b) it'll take me a good hour and a half to get home.

(On the other hand, I'm good at flaking on meetups, so maybe ignore me.)
posted by hoyland at 5:54 PM on August 14

Can do the 14th! Haven't been to a meet-up in ages.
posted by 1adam12 at 5:56 PM on August 14

Sounds great, and as of right now both of those weekends are free for me.
posted by sunflower16 at 8:29 PM on August 14

It looks like it's a go! Yay! I'll confirm a date and time right after Labor Day.

I"m pretty sure my yard past the patio area is big enough for cornhole, as long as being on a slope doesn't matter.

So, the last time I hosted a mefi potluck was, as stated, several years ago and it was a ton of fun. Are you all down for a potluck? We can theme it if you like (death of the Megathread theme dishes, weird stuff only my family ate that I would now like to subject others to dishes, I've been wanting to try making this dish and nows my excuse to give it a try and this is my first attempt so good luck guinea pigs, or something along those lines).

Please keep suggestions for days, times, activities, themes (if we want one) flowing in!
posted by newpotato at 5:03 AM on August 15

Would be happy to potluck. Perhaps start midafternoon and continue into the evening if possible?
posted by ferret branca at 8:56 AM on August 15

Hello! If you're taking requests, may I request the 14th?
posted by The Pluto Gangsta at 5:54 PM on August 15

You are not currently logged in. Log in or create a new account to post comments.