MeFi20 - Massachusetts South Coast
posted May 18, 2019 11:02 AM   RSS | iCal | +googleCal

Sat July 13 at 3:00 PM, The Ridge
1655 Main Rd, Westport, MA, USA (Map & Directions)
Come to my house for the MeFi20 meetup. We'll have snacks, some sort of dinner-ish food, some sort of drinks, lawn games, indoor games, wifi, and who knows what else. If you're not normally a "meetup person" but would like to say hello and then go somewhere and twiddle with your phone while drinking a nice beverage, we can accommodate. Family and friends? Sure! Kids, are very welcome.
Venue is my house but some details can be TBD. What I'd love to do is some sort of potluck or "bring things for the grill" (assuming I get the grill working) and we'll have all the condiments, drinks (beer, seltzers, sodas) and some sort of dessert. Maybe a MeFi slide show if I get energetic. House is big and rambly, mostly accessible (bathrooms) but there are a few steps to get in/out. Can accommodate a few overnight guests, more if you don't mind couches and/or camping. Hosts are me, not_on_display and bandit.
posted by jessamyn to Meetup (47 comments total) 1 user marked this as a favorite

I hope to be there, although my summer plans are a bit of a shambles from work.
posted by GenjiandProust at 12:52 PM on May 18 [1 favorite]

In my 19 years on this site, I have never attended a meetup. That's all gonna change, baby. See you there!
posted by briank at 2:57 PM on May 18 [4 favorites]

hope we can make it.
posted by terrapin at 4:48 PM on May 18 [1 favorite]

There is a large yard! There is a tiny frog pond! You could throw lawn darts (but you will NOT, you can throw other things like frisbees).
posted by not_on_display at 5:19 PM on May 18

feistycakes and I will be there. We might make it a day trip, maybe an overnighter. We'll bring fun things and yummy things and a bottle of whiskey to share. And I would be remiss if I did not remember my rallying cry from ten years ago in NYC- if you arrive late, bring ice. Lots and lots of ice.
posted by vrakatar at 5:33 PM on May 18 [2 favorites]

There is a large yard!

I'm bringing a Cornhole set so we can overthink a plate of beanbags.
posted by bondcliff at 6:05 PM on May 18 [4 favorites]

Tentatively yes!
posted by rmd1023 at 6:36 AM on May 19 [1 favorite]

I'm going to be in Boston the following weekend (and also attending a 50th Moon Landing anniversary party), so now looking at possibly extending my trip to be there earlier!
posted by vacapinta at 6:38 AM on May 19 [2 favorites]

Remembered that we are conducting a homebrew class that day and unfortunately cannot make it.
posted by terrapin at 10:20 AM on May 19 [1 favorite]

Oh, yay! I had to double check when I first joined MeFi (2008) because it's been my online home for so long. I'm delighted to be able to join the celebration. Yay!
posted by Sublimity at 4:32 PM on May 19 [1 favorite]

I have to double check, but I'm pretty sure we're free. I can bring a kubb set and we'll figure out some food and drinks to bring.
posted by backseatpilot at 10:03 AM on May 20 [2 favorites]

Oh gosh I was hoping someone could bring kubb. I got lost on Amazon looking at kubb options. I love that game.
posted by jessamyn at 10:26 AM on May 20 [1 favorite]

Oooh kubb! We played that in Copenhagen and I haven't played it since. Hope I can make it (with husband and toddler).
posted by peacheater at 12:09 PM on May 20

IT'S COMING!
A GAME UNLIKE ANYTHING
YOU'VE EVER SEEN!

PREPARE YOURSELF...
FOR... KUBB!

You are now Kubb, defender of the polyverse!

The fun cannot be halted.
posted by not_on_display at 3:44 PM on May 20 [1 favorite]

I am scheduled to work that day, but can possibly work something out with a coworker. I would really like to be there!
posted by Biblio at 8:03 AM on May 21

Has it really been 5 years since we last did this?
posted by Aznable at 4:58 AM on May 22

I would love to, but it might collide with Summer Family Stuff (summer camp, &c.). I will take a crawl through my calendar.

But regardless, thanks for hosting, Jessamyn & Kate & Jim!
posted by wenestvedt at 5:56 AM on May 22

Robocop and I will be there, with our kid in tow. Yay!
posted by banjo_and_the_pork at 6:04 PM on May 22 [1 favorite]

I'm heartbroken I can't be there. July 14th conflicts with an annual ... nerd thing ... here in Maine (where we also play Kubb), and I can't miss it.

I will be thinking of you all though.
posted by anastasiav at 5:39 AM on May 23

Alright, schedule has been confirmed and we'll be coming. Maybe I'll make sausages or pulled pork or something to bring?
posted by backseatpilot at 7:00 AM on May 23 [2 favorites]

I got my 25 lbs of cheddar and... it's a lot. Will think of recipes. Many many recipes.
posted by jessamyn at 2:58 PM on May 23 [2 favorites]

Is anyone going from NYC? I want to go but I don't have a car and you can't get there from public transportation.
posted by starlybri at 5:25 PM on May 23

psst... metafilter is a cheese-laundering front... pass it on
posted by not_on_display at 5:34 PM on May 23 [1 favorite]

If you're sleeping with me, I hope you're a cuddler!
posted by ColdChef at 12:54 PM on May 24 [2 favorites]

I hope to be there!
posted by AsYouKnow Bob at 5:44 PM on May 24 [1 favorite]

If you're not normally a "meetup person" but would like to say hello and then go somewhere and twiddle with your phone while drinking a nice beverage, we can accommodate.

Seeing this warmed my heart and again is another reason why I love this community.

I have never been to a meetup and I really wish I could attend this one, so I could ooh and ah over 25 pounds of cheddar, and be terrible at Cornhole, and play Qwirkle with n_o_d who reintroduced me to it last year. Sounds like it'll be a lot of fun, so I wish you a wonderful meetup and hope there will be photos!
posted by rangefinder 1.4 at 8:06 PM on May 24 [1 favorite]

Keep cheese out of the laundry!
posted by GenjiandProust at 12:38 PM on May 25

I might bring a mobile bartender kit, and some basic bar supplies, and maybe set up a bar. I love to tend bar and if having a guest bartender for a while is something people think is a good idea, I will do it. Shaking drinks is what I was born to do. That and being a hopeless bohemian libertine strauntguy.
posted by vrakatar at 9:33 PM on May 25 [2 favorites]

I love to tend bar and if having a guest bartender for a while is something people think is a good idea, I will do it.

Great. Check in with us closer to the date, because there's some stuff we may have that you won't need to bring (we used to have a good shaker, can't remember if we still do). Not sure how much of a drinking crowd this is, but always good to have a bartender. My sister doesn't drink (and I don't drink much) so maybe we can think about a signature mocktail as well.

Note: Down to about 21 lbs of cheddar. Looking up queso recipes....
posted by jessamyn at 9:48 AM on May 27

Mocktails check. I've been doing some poking around, what's the walking or driving time to horseneck? I enjoy organizing safe, low impact night swimming excursions.
posted by vrakatar at 8:14 PM on May 30

Walking time = 45 to 55 minutes.
Drive time = wouldn't recommend at night; gates to all beach lots are closed, and there is no legal street-parking nearby.
posted by not_on_display at 8:29 PM on May 30 [1 favorite]

Understood. We can still wargame swim shuttle service before sundown. One of my tasks on this planet is to get people in the ocean, and I haven't been to that beach since I was seven years old.
posted by vrakatar at 8:43 PM on May 30 [3 favorites]

Might could drive over from the Hudson Valley! Assuming I bite the bullet, trade in both of my shitty Jeeps (srsly, I'm going to hurl them into the sun), and buy a vehicle that'll even make it that far. God help me...

If I can, I'll bring tons of grillin' meats from the farm I work on. (Are we pro-meat at this gathering?)

Also, Starlybri, people from NYC could take Metronorth up to me (to Wassaic, the last stop on the Harlem line) and I could drive us, if no one from the City is driving straight there. Just an option!

Anyway, fingers crossed!
posted by functionequalsform at 10:33 AM on May 31

There will be a grill for meat and all! I'm not up on the vegetarian/vegan cooking norms, but the grill is open to all foods: meat, plant, fungus, or otherwise. (Sorry, petroleum-based life-forms out there: no grilling plastic for you.)

But srsly if you are a veg'n and this kinda thing matters to you, this grill has accommodated much meat over the years. And so many eggplant and pepper kabobs.
posted by not_on_display at 10:40 AM on May 31

Cool! I’ll load up on sausages, chicken, and maybe steak (if it’s back from the butcher by then - should be!), and whatever veg is up out of the garden. 😎
posted by functionequalsform at 12:36 PM on May 31

We can still wargame swim shuttle service before sundown.

Yep and it's a pretty easy bicycle ride from the house (maybe 2 miles) so if you have bikes, bring em and then it will be AOK fine. We have one bike.

We will either have my grill working (current state: not working) or bondcliff says he'll bring one so any sort of grillables (meat and/or veg) are appreciated.
posted by jessamyn at 7:57 PM on May 31 [1 favorite]

We have room for two more in our car if anybody needs a ride from the greater Boston/Camberville area.
posted by DiscourseMarker at 2:00 PM on June 1 [1 favorite]

Have promised to bring Homebrew, and now it seems I can really attend.
starlybri I drive through NYC to get there.
posted by gluejar at 1:27 PM on June 5 [1 favorite]

Overnight spaces are, I believe, all taken. If you bring a tent you are welcome outdoors.
posted by jessamyn at 2:18 PM on June 5

What if I bring an air mattress?

starlybri, if you want to take the LIRR 35 minutes from Penn to Mineola, I can drive you.
posted by ocherdraco at 12:33 PM on June 7

I could probably bring a tent that could sleep 4-5 if y’all don’t mind sharing. I’ll sleep in my own tent.
posted by bondcliff at 2:53 PM on June 7

I could probably bring a tent that could sleep 4-5 if y’all don’t mind sharing.

six if you sleep on the roof like snoopy.
posted by not_on_display at 8:18 PM on June 7 [2 favorites]

That doesn't work real well on tents.
posted by maryr at 7:52 PM on June 17

I am hoping to come from away. I'm pretty I escaped my last marriage with at least one tent (I entered into it with two, so it's only fair!). I'm pretty sure I don't have an air mattress though, so if anyone has one they could loan me my old bones would be eternally grateful.
posted by drlith at 8:21 PM on June 17 [1 favorite]

I've got a few Thermarests I'll toss in the car. They range from lightweight backpacker to big and fluffy old person mattress.
posted by bondcliff at 7:51 AM on June 18

I'll be there! I'm looking forward to seeing and meeting you all!
posted by Songdog at 10:34 AM on June 18

It is officially on my calendar! I'm happy to arrange to come early-ish and help with setup and/or bring things from the Western Wilds.
posted by restless_nomad at 9:31 AM on June 19

You are not currently logged in. Log in or create a new account to post comments.