PDX-adjacent campout!
posted January 26, 2018 8:16 PM   RSS | iCal | +googleCal

Thu June 21 at 4:00 PM, Lost Lake Campground and Resort
Lakeshore Express Trail #658, Cascade Locks, OR, USA (Map & Directions)
This will happen Thursday afternoon - Sunday morning, June 21-24 at Lost Lake Campground and Resort. I've booked a site near the top end of the D loop. Reservations can be made at ReserveAmerica.com.
We've done a few MeFi campouts in far-flung places - Washington, eastern Oregon, and California - and they've been great and I'm totally up for more of them (Olympic peninsula, anyone?). But this time I wanted to propose one closer to home so that maybe more local folks could make it.

We've historically stuck to established vehicle-accessible campsites with at least some facilities and potable water, so we're not talking serious roughing-it, backcountry, bring your own TP and trowel sort of stuff.

Oh, it would be ever so jolly!

NOTE: Campgrounds close to town get booked up seriously quickly! Act now!!
posted by Greg_Ace to Meetup (32 comments total) 1 user marked this as a favorite

I should also mention that we never lack for awesome food at these things.
posted by Greg_Ace at 8:19 PM on January 26 [2 favorites]

Silver Falls has 2 group spots and it's about an hour and a half away. L.L Stub Stewart is near Vernonia while Milo MacIver is just outside Estacada. All 3 are state campgrounds so they tend to have better facilities like yurts or showers.
posted by fiercekitten at 12:30 AM on January 27 [1 favorite]

I am always in favor of reserving a group site rather than fussing about multiple site reservations so far in advance.
posted by janell at 3:53 PM on January 27

That sounds great! I'm definitely not a fan of heat (see what I did there!? 👀), and would love to go someplace where there's swimming but it's not a dealbreaker.

Count me in!
posted by bendy at 6:20 PM on January 27

I've been curious about Lost Lake Resort and Campground - it has some great scenery. And a lake.
posted by Greg_Ace at 7:08 PM on January 27

I approve of this plan in a major way! I too have been curious about Lost Lake- has anyone been there?
posted by Secretariat at 8:19 PM on January 27

I saw an episode of No Reservations that staged a segment there - does that count?
posted by Greg_Ace at 9:30 PM on January 27

I would love to go camping. I did flake on the last campout because the date ended up not working. And I was bummed about that! ( mostly for being a flake.) Hopefully this year will work out!
posted by vespabelle at 9:57 AM on January 28

I'd be interested, I had a great time with several of you a few years ago. I'm also interested in Lost Lake
posted by Kwine at 10:59 AM on January 28

Lost Lake looks lovely! It has several "organization" camping areas -- Area 2 is $85 with space for 15 people/5 cars (compare to $27/tent site).
posted by janell at 2:15 PM on January 29

I think getting a group site is an excellent idea.
posted by Greg_Ace at 2:47 PM on January 29

I love camping and am potentially interested. I dig Trillium Lake, very pretty and good for canoeing/kayaking, but I'm also open to other ideas.
posted by cnidaria at 11:42 PM on January 30

Ooh, Lost Lake looks pretty too.
posted by cnidaria at 11:43 AM on January 31

So maybe we should talk about dates.
posted by janell at 1:41 PM on January 31

Yes... According to this, it looks like June is the magic time between rainy and too hot for comfortable camping. That being the case, what weekends in June can anyone NOT do?
posted by Greg_Ace at 3:05 PM on January 31

June sounds good to me! I probably can't do the weekend of June 30th (but only because my calendar says I promised to be available to cat sit for janell, which I suspect means that's a no-go for her!) All other June weekends currently work for me.

If we were to stretch it to July (we are considering places with lakes, after all, so I'm willing to risk some warmer days as long as nights cool down) I'm not available the weekend of the 7th (got some concert tickets) but all other July weekends work.
posted by Secretariat at 11:09 AM on February 1

Taking a look at a different site with 30 years' worth of historical weather data, July might not be so bad at 3200'. Personally I'd still prefer the cooler June weather, but I'd be willing to risk hot weather up through, say, the first couple weekends in July.
posted by Greg_Ace at 12:33 PM on February 1

There are plenty of individual sites available for June weekends (none in July), but the group sites are completely booked for June and July weekends. So unless people want to talk about mid-week dates (which I'm not opposed to), next Saturday I'm going to go ahead and reserve an individual site for the weekend of June 22-24.
posted by Greg_Ace at 11:16 AM on February 4

I've booked site D4 for Thurs-Sat June 21-23 (leaving Sunday morning); apparently there's a 3-night minimum stay on weekends. There are 3 or 4 other surrounding campsites that are currently available for those dates, but don't expect them to stick around.

I'm going regardless, but I really hope some of you will join me!
posted by Greg_Ace at 10:40 AM on February 10

Irony! This would be the perfect timing for us to make it to last year's location. We'll hopefully be halfway back to Portland from Sac on a recumbent tandem.

Someday we'll make it. Have fun y'all! LOVE the closer to Portland locale, generally speaking.
posted by aniola at 2:08 PM on February 10

Ok! I have booked the next door site, D6!
posted by Secretariat at 10:26 AM on February 11

I don't think I can do this the weekend right before a bigger adventure, but I'll maybe swing by for an afternoon/dinner since it is close in).
posted by janell at 3:20 PM on February 12

Dumb question; for a single tent / single car will I need to be reserving my own site, or do we have some number of folks already covered between D4/D6? Obviously happy to chip in if I'm sharing a site.
posted by churl at 4:26 PM on February 13

Looking at the pictures of each campsite, I think we could probably double up 2 tents to a site, plus the extra-vehicle fee (I think it said $8/night?).
posted by Greg_Ace at 6:44 PM on February 13

Yeah, my site said it had 2 tent pads in the description, doubling up should work.
posted by Secretariat at 10:27 PM on February 13

Can I and my non-mefite partner share a campsite with you, Greg_Ace or Sectretariat? We won't be able to make it until Friday evening but happy to share costs for the full term.
posted by Kwine at 9:53 AM on February 14

Sure!

With you and churl, that pretty much locks up those two sites (unless they're a lot bigger than I think they are).

If anyone else is still interested, nearby sites D1, D2, D7, and D16 are available at the moment.
posted by Greg_Ace at 12:54 PM on February 14 [1 favorite]

I'm guessing 2 tents per is probably the max, from the way sites were described (and yeah, I'm fine sharing with either Kwine or Churl!)
posted by Secretariat at 2:45 PM on February 14 [1 favorite]

uhhh..... maybe?
posted by the man of twists and turns at 11:45 PM on February 19

We'd love for you to join us! Be aware that you'll need to decide and reserve a campsite before they're all booked.
posted by Greg_Ace at 9:42 AM on February 20

timing means I may just be down for a day (early in, leave at dusk)
posted by the man of twists and turns at 3:14 PM on February 20

Oh, ok, that's cool too.
posted by Greg_Ace at 3:35 PM on February 20

You are not currently logged in. Log in or create a new account to post comments.