Detroit Area meetup The Freezening again
posted January 11, 2014 11:37 AM   RSS | iCal | +googleCal

Sat March 1 at 5:00 PM, Pizza Bigalora
3050 Washtenaw Avenue, Ann Arbor, MI, USA (Map & Directions)
Currently rescheduled again for March 1. Details have changed: Now we are going to Pizza Bigalora. Hope to see some of you there at 5pm March 1.
Prior description: Just reposting this meetup post so more people can see it.

Is Feb 1 a good day for people? Who is around? Where shall we meet?

HuronBob was kind enough to set up a space at the Portage Yacht Club (about 5 miles north of Dexter, on Dexter-Pinckney Road, 20 minutes drive from downtown Ann Arbor, menu is at ) on Saturday, Feb. 1 15.

So, Saturday Feb 15, from 5-9 pm. Please do reply if you're coming so we can get a full count by the previous Friday.

Rescheduled on account of wintry mix. Or whatever other term of endearment you use for the weather expected on Feb 1.
posted by nat to Meetup (59 comments total) 3 users marked this as a favorite

It's on my calendar. We had talked before about some place further north and east than Ann Arbor - non-Ann Arborites please weigh in!

Bastone - in Royal Oak?
Sidetrack in Ypsi?
Someplace else entirely?
posted by leslies at 11:40 AM on January 11, 2014

I'm open for anything in or around Detroit/Ann Arbor. Thanks for reposting, nat.
posted by Etrigan at 11:57 AM on January 11, 2014

Any location is fine by me; I am happy to drive other people near Ann Arbor or on the way between A2 and wherever we go.
posted by nat at 3:04 PM on January 11, 2014

I missed the last one, but am in A2 and okay with some amount of commute (and able to give drinkers a ride if that's an issue for anyone). +1 may depend on NFL schedule, sadly :).
posted by mdn at 7:04 AM on January 12, 2014

Is there a preference for day in the weekend? Feb 1 is a Saturday; nominally I have less to do on both Friday eve and Sunday, but I'll go any of those times.
posted by nat at 1:02 PM on January 12, 2014

Doesn't matter to us -whichever is better for you nat.
posted by leslies at 5:41 PM on January 13, 2014

Can't make that weekend, but hope to see everyone next time.
posted by still_wears_a_hat at 1:54 PM on January 14, 2014

Welp, I'd vote Sunday afternoon, if it was just me voting.
posted by nat at 3:24 PM on January 14, 2014

Sounds reasonable to me - others?
posted by leslies at 4:36 AM on January 19, 2014

Super Bowl is at 6:30 on the 2nd, and I already have plans for to watch it.
posted by Etrigan at 6:35 PM on January 19, 2014

Hmm, maybe Saturday is better. Where?
posted by nat at 10:01 PM on January 21, 2014

is anyone from beyond Ann Arbor planning to make it? Friday or Sat are both good for me I think. Meeting on Superbowl SUnday could change the focus regardless of original intent (if we went anywhere that had a tv, at least).
posted by mdn at 8:55 AM on January 23, 2014

Etrigan doesn't live in A2 ad has plans on the Sunday.
posted by leslies at 7:45 PM on January 23, 2014

Yeah, my bad for forgetting that Sunday is superbowl day. Where are people interested in meeting? There was a brewery mentioned before (although I'm not a big Belgian beer fan, I'd deal).
posted by nat at 10:53 AM on January 24, 2014

If we're staying in A2/Yspi area we could go to Sidetrack in Ypsi or back to Grizzly Peak - or Arbor Brewing. Jolly Pumpkin in Ann Arbor is crazy loud although if we met Sat afternoon instead of evening.... Aventura - new tapas bar in Ann Arbor is good but also crazy loud so only a good afternoon not evening option I'd say.
posted by leslies at 11:09 AM on January 24, 2014

Hi folks... Since there seems to be some indecision, I'll make an offer here. If y'all want to make a little drive northwest of Ann Arbor, I could book us a space at the Portage Yacht Club (about 5 miles north of Dexter, on Dexter-Pinckney Road, 20 minutes drive from downtown Ann Arbor, menu is at ) on Saturday, Feb. 1st. It would be a quiet venue... It's a private club, you all would be on my bill and could reimburse me (or not, if money is an issue for a MeFit, I'll foot the bill for you). It's a quiet space... limitations are that the hours on Saturday are 5 to 9 pm, but, if the group is still engaged in intelligent conversation, my house is only a half mile away.... I would need to know the number of people by Friday to reserve the table.

posted by HuronBob at 9:14 PM on January 26, 2014

I think that sounds great - have been there before and it's a really pretty setting. Others? And thank you Bob for offering!
posted by leslies at 5:33 AM on January 27, 2014

I'm pro this idea, and happy to contribute costs as well as transport from AA. Although my all-weather tires aren't being as all-weather as I might like, grr..

How about I set the date/time of the event to be as you suggest, HuronBob, and then people can set their attendance ability appropriately?
posted by nat at 3:25 PM on January 27, 2014

Sounds like a plan, nat...

Location: Portage Yacht Club

Here's how it works. It's a private club, so only members can purchase booze. To make this simple, it works like this... You each keep track of your expenditures for food and drink. At the end of the evening, pay me (cash or check is fine). It all gets billed to me and I cover it.

Dress is casual, jeans are fine...

The place will be quiet, the staff is young but tries very hard....the booze/beer/wine selection is a bit limited, but you'll find what you need!

And, my offer stands, if funds are short for you, show up anyway and don't worry about it...

For those of you that get lost... my cell is 734-985-0312
posted by HuronBob at 4:49 PM on January 27, 2014

Me plus one is down for PYC, weather permitting.
posted by Etrigan at 5:45 PM on January 27, 2014

Sorry, never mind. Family situation. Have fun, and take pictures this time.
posted by Etrigan at 5:44 PM on January 29, 2014

We'll miss you guys!
posted by leslies at 6:46 AM on January 30, 2014

Heya, I think we can make it - me plus one, depending on the weather... we don't have the most winter-focused car, but, google seems to think it's about 20 minutes on an ordinary day. If you get a text from a 917 number, that is probably me (recent transplant).
posted by mdn at 8:32 AM on January 30, 2014

If there's interest I could bring a board/card/etc game or two. But I can't really bring the whole bookcase, so I'd need to know what people are in for if anything.
posted by nat at 3:43 PM on January 30, 2014 [1 favorite]

I was about to post a "are we still on?" message, but it looks like we are! Great! I'll make sure we have a big enough table (based on the numbers posted here), plus a couple of extras, just in case.

Board games are a great idea, nat... whatever you drag along will, I'm sure, be just fine!

It does look like there may be some snow on saturday, if anyone is really concerned about that, I've a room in the basement with an air mattress, comfortable couch, TV and woodstove, if it was so bad that you can't make it home...I'm only a mile or so away from the club (or a half mile if you want to walk across the lake). Breakfast would be on me...
posted by HuronBob at 8:05 PM on January 30, 2014

OK... here's the forecast:

... Winter Storm Watch in effect from Saturday morning through
Saturday evening...

The National Weather Service in Detroit/Pontiac has issued a
Winter Storm Watch... which is in effect from Saturday morning
through Saturday evening.

* potential for a wet and heavy snow accumulation of 6 or more
inches between sunrise Saturday and mid Saturday afternoon with
additional accumulation possible through midnight Saturday

For me, no big deal, but I can walk there if I need to. What are you folks thinking at this point. Still a go, reschedule, cancel for now????

posted by HuronBob at 5:14 AM on January 31, 2014

Yeah I was wondering if we should reschedule - this is looking like it could be a big mess. I think we're still game but am concerned about the freezing rain portion of the forecast more than the snow. What do you all think?
posted by leslies at 5:41 AM on January 31, 2014

I don't want to put folks at risk, and it's a bit of a drive here from where most of you are coming from. I'm good for almost any saturday other than the 9th of Feb and my offer to host at the club stands if we choose another date...
posted by HuronBob at 5:53 AM on January 31, 2014

Let's reschedule - the more I look at the forecast the more I think this is a bad idea. We're pretty open in Feb as well so any other Saturday works for us as of now.
posted by leslies at 6:04 AM on January 31, 2014

I think desecration is the better part of valour - or something like that... 7 inches more of snow, with ice as a topper sound apocalyptic.

The 9th works for me, as do most of the weekends in February.
posted by BillW at 6:04 AM on January 31, 2014

The 9th is the only date I've got booked... could we do the 16th???

And, based on the response so far, I'll go ahead and officially cancel the reservation for tomorrow..
posted by HuronBob at 6:10 AM on January 31, 2014

The 16th is a Sunday - ok by me - did you mean the 15th?
posted by leslies at 6:16 AM on January 31, 2014

I approve this decision! The 15th or 16th is fine over here. No one's going off for Valentine's weekend are they?
posted by mdn at 7:25 AM on January 31, 2014

15/16 should be fine for me and SoD.
posted by Etrigan at 7:44 AM on January 31, 2014

OK, I switched the date to the 15th. Man, this winter.
posted by nat at 8:57 AM on January 31, 2014

Yep, I meant the 15th, I've evidently lost the ability to actually read a calendar. Old age sucks..
posted by HuronBob at 9:46 AM on January 31, 2014

Good on the switch. Hopefully this means the storm will be a big nothing right? My kind of wishful thinking - I freaking hate ice storms.
posted by leslies at 12:20 PM on January 31, 2014

Just realized the Traverse City Comedy Fest is that weekend, so we are considering making a trip. We have done the TC Film Fest twice now, staying at airbnb places, and really enjoyed it (cool town and lots of stuff going on during the festivals). Anyway, not sure we can afford it time or $$-wise, but that's what keeps me+1 in "maybe" status.
posted by mdn at 7:32 AM on February 1, 2014

Would anyone from Ann Arbor or nearby be interested in sharing rides? I would offer to drive, but unfortunately should really not be driving at night.
posted by still_wears_a_hat at 6:13 PM on February 5, 2014

We were going to pick up Nat on the previously scheduled date so could easily collect you both if she still wants a ride - mefimail me and we can work out logistics.
posted by leslies at 7:25 AM on February 7, 2014

looks like we'll be around, plus we make good designated drivers as I medically don't drink & he's happy enough not to. We'd be starting from Kerrytown area, feel free to send a message if that's convenient...
posted by mdn at 9:27 AM on February 9, 2014

Folks, I have a glitch... My pup has to have surgery this week (nothing too serious, but she's not done well with leaving sutures alone in the past), and, depending on how she handles the wound, I may not be able to attend on Saturday. It's probably safest to move this to a venue that doesn't depend on me being there... I'll leave it up to all of you to figure out what is best.

My sincere apologies to all of you.

posted by HuronBob at 8:38 AM on February 10, 2014

I hope your dog gets through it ok Bob - she's such a beauty!

So given Bob's situation shall we re-locate so someplace in Ann Arbor? Usual suspects we've talked about - Grizzly Peak, ABC, Sidetrack in Ypsi, Aventura - (tapas bar) in Ann Arbor or something else?
posted by leslies at 9:43 AM on February 10, 2014

Anywhere in AA/Ypsi will be good for us. Aventura looks good, but I would understand if others didn't want to.

Get better fast, HuronDog.
posted by Etrigan at 6:27 PM on February 10, 2014

I'm also fine with anywhere in Ann Arbor or Ypsi. Or a different date, if that makes more sense.
posted by still_wears_a_hat at 6:39 AM on February 11, 2014

We could push out to the following Saturday - the 22nd so Bob could come.
posted by leslies at 2:48 PM on February 11, 2014

I'm good with the 22nd.
posted by still_wears_a_hat at 7:23 PM on February 11, 2014

I am out of town on 22nd. Would pushing the date later help?
posted by nat at 11:48 PM on February 11, 2014

Nat or Bob want to suggest a date? We can do the 1st but not the 8th.
posted by leslies at 6:05 AM on February 12, 2014

I am gone Feb 21-24, and then I am around until the last week in March.

HuronBob, if we push it to Mar 1, can you make it then?
posted by nat at 3:44 PM on February 12, 2014

So we are definitely not meeting this Saturday the 15th, right?
posted by still_wears_a_hat at 5:38 AM on February 13, 2014

Correct. NO Meet-up 2/15. 3/1 looks fine.
posted by leslies at 2:13 PM on February 13, 2014

Is anyone who has NOT posted here planning to attend? We may change the location, just based on logistics, weather and potholes. And attendees, so if you're interested, please post here. Thanks,
posted by still_wears_a_hat at 1:12 PM on February 24, 2014

Leslie suggested Pizza Bigalora - is anyone not OK with that? If so, please post other suggestions - we just need to make up our minds soon.

5:00 this Saturday, March 1.
posted by still_wears_a_hat at 7:38 AM on February 25, 2014

I went ahead and switched to Pizza Bigalora, which I am fine with. If anyone is strongly NOT fine, they should post another suggestion quickly;-)

Do we need to call ahead, or with only a few of us should we be ok?
posted by nat at 12:25 PM on February 25, 2014

It's hard to see that we'd need to call ahead at 5:00. I guess there's really no reason not to, but I probably wouldn't bother.
posted by still_wears_a_hat at 6:35 AM on February 26, 2014

Was fun to see everyone tonight! Let's hope for no or less snow next time!
posted by leslies at 5:44 PM on March 1, 2014 [1 favorite]

Yes. Next time we should have "the Meltening."
posted by nat at 6:57 PM on March 1, 2014 [2 favorites]

Let's definitely have a lot of meltening.
posted by still_wears_a_hat at 5:10 PM on March 4, 2014

This thread has been archived and is closed to new comments