Return to the Blue Hills!
posted June 15, 2017 12:15 PM   RSS | iCal | +googleCal

Sat July 8 at 10:00 AM, Blue Hills Reservation / Shea Rink lot
651 Willard St, Quincy, MA, USA (Map & Directions)
Last time we went was six (!) years ago and we had a lot of fun. Let's go back and do another hike in the Blue Hills, Greater Boston's favorite hills!
We’ll wander around for 5-ish miles with a stop for lunch at some point.

Hiking will be a moderate to easy pace suitable for beginner hikers. Terrain in the Blue Hills can be rocky but we'll take our time getting up things. We'll emphasize being social over getting a good workout, though we'll also try to have a goal to reach.

What to bring:
  • Comfortable clothing suitable for the weather
  • Walking shoes. Boots preferred. Sneakers are fine. Sandals / Keens not recommended (terrain can be rocky)
  • Lunch and snacks
  • Water. At least a liter. More if temperature is hot.
  • Sunblock
  • Bug spray
  • Sunglasses
  • Hat
  • Personal medications (Epi Pen, etc)
  • Backpack or fanny pack in which to carry these things.
  • Trail map (print or download PDF here)
Optional:
  • Snacks to share
  • Rain jacket (if weather looks iffy)
Please arrive by 9:45 AM so that you don't get left behind. Rain date will be July 9th. Watch this thread the morning of the hike for any changes.

Getting there:
651 Willard St, Quincy, MA

*Please note this is not the main Blue Hills ski area / trailside museum lot, but is located at the eastern end of the reservation.

Carpooling is a possibility. If you can offer a ride, please say so and from where you will be coming. If you need a ride, please enquire in thread or via MeMail.

MBTA: (please take it upon youself to verify bus routes and schedules): Red Line to (Braintree Line) Quincy Center. Take the Bus #238 outbound. Exit at West Street and Willard Street, across from the Shea Skating Rink. Cross the skating rink parking lot to St. Moritz Pond Nature Trail. Bus runs hourly 7 days/week. Call MBTA for details.

Please MeMail me for contact info if you need it.
posted by bondcliff to Meetup (24 comments total) 1 user marked this as a favorite

Final date matters, of course, but I think I'm in (even though I am a terrible hiker and will probably die of rocks).
posted by maryr at 12:19 PM on June 15 [1 favorite]

all i remember about last time was the oreos WERE INSIDE OF THE CHONKLIT SHIP COOKY
posted by not_on_display at 12:18 AM on June 16 [2 favorites]

And with any luck see a UFO!
posted by sammyo at 3:22 AM on June 16 [1 favorite]

This sounds like so much fun! I'm a 'maybe' if it's on July 2, 8, or 9. But don't rule out July 1 on my account, as my 'maybe' will swing to 'no' in the likely event that it's hot, because 5 miles is long for me in the best of weather. But I trust that if I do come, the amazing powers of cookies will pull me through.
posted by daisyace at 6:36 AM on June 16

The five miles is just an estimate, we can adjust based on how the group is doing.

all i remember about last time was the oreos WERE INSIDE OF THE CHONKLIT SHIP COOKY

The folks down at the lab are currently working on figuring out how to insert a third cookie.
posted by bondcliff at 6:52 AM on June 16 [1 favorite]

oooh! I'm a maybe if it's the 1st or the 2nd; I'm away the 8th and 9th.
posted by Old Kentucky Shark at 9:53 AM on June 16

Sounds like fun!
posted by Sheydem-tants at 10:48 AM on June 16

July 8th and 9th work for me! And not July 1 or 2. Is this a doodly pole?
posted by not_on_display at 9:14 PM on June 16

I've always been interested in hiking because it seems like anyone can do it while still being a form of "exploring". I'll try to make this one.
posted by ignignokt at 6:10 AM on June 17 [1 favorite]

4th of July weekend is out. Other weekend would work.
posted by jessamyn at 8:28 PM on June 17

Hey I remember this! This was a lot of fun. I could do the 8th or 9th, probably.
posted by mstokes650 at 7:36 AM on June 18 [1 favorite]

Ok, I'm probably going to call it for the 8th, with a rain date for the 9th. I'll probably do the Shea Rink area again since it's easiest for public transportation.

Unless... is public transportation even a concern? Will people most likely be driving and/or carpooling? I don't want to limit options if the T isn't even a factor.
posted by bondcliff at 7:40 AM on June 20

We will definitely be driving.
posted by jessamyn at 8:56 AM on June 20

Anyone recall how long the wait and ride for the bus from Mattapan to the East Area was? If it's a hassle, I might carpool.
posted by ignignokt at 12:52 PM on June 21

I will almost definitely drive so I can bring others, especially if I already know where they live.

re Oreos: There are these if you want a different cookie-in-cookie experience. Well, there were those, that's from last July. They were pretty good!
posted by maryr at 1:31 PM on June 21

I will be happy to pick people up (up to 3, 4 if y'all wanna be friendly in the back seat) at Riverside station at the end of the Green Line.

I think there are slightly better options to hike in the Blue Hills so if the T isn't necessary for most people I may start the hike more in the middle of the reservation.
posted by bondcliff at 1:36 PM on June 21 [1 favorite]

You should probably update this IRL to include a decided date.
posted by maryr at 1:52 PM on June 22

Update coming soon, but I'm planning it for the 8th.
posted by bondcliff at 2:17 PM on June 22

I'm a maybe! Not sure yet when I'm moving in, but I'd love to go!
posted by ChuraChura at 6:48 AM on June 23 [2 favorites]

YES BUT WHAT ABOUT THE MONKEYS?
WERE THEY ALLOWED ON THE LEASE?
posted by not_on_display at 3:54 PM on June 26 [2 favorites]

The monkey deposit was exorbitant, so they've agreed to stay in the forest and wait patiently.
posted by ChuraChura at 6:38 AM on June 28 [1 favorite]

I will be happy to start a GoFundMe if it means we get to hike with a monkey.
posted by bondcliff at 7:22 AM on June 28

I'm happy to bring along some dried monkey feces as a sort of monkey synecdoche.
posted by ChuraChura at 8:21 AM on June 28

"snacks to share" are optional, but certainly welcome.
posted by bondcliff at 8:55 AM on June 28

You are not currently logged in. Log in or create a new account to post comments.