Central Vermont - New England
posted August 3, 2019 9:37 AM   RSS | iCal | +googleCal

Sat September 28 at 3:00 PM, Gage Hill Farm
801 Gage Rd, Bethel, VT, USA (Map & Directions)
A new Vermont resident has called for a meetup and turtlegirl and I are offering our home/farm as the venue. A traditional New England potluck gathering, and we'll provide the grill and the lovely views.
We only have bocce, and would welcome other outdoor games. We don't have a lot of flat ground though. Cornhole would be nice, if anyone is willing to bring a set.

There are wooded trails behind our house for anyone who fancies a short hike or stroll. We have bug repellent.

Depending on how much rain we get between now and the event we may have a fire in the pit, so bring your own s'mores ingredients if that's your thang.

If you need to stay overnight for any reason you are welcome to, but crash space is on a first-come-first-sleep-comfortably basis.

Have I forgotten something? Right...

CAVEATS: Our driveway is very steep and much of the gravel has been lost due to a few strong storms. We also have limited parking at the top of the hill where the house is. We encourage people to drive to the top (4WD suggested) to drop off passengers, food, drink, chairs, instruments, games, and anything else they don't want to carry up the hill. Then please park at the bottom across from the barn. Feel free to say hello to the sheep and the llamas before walking up! The Finn sheep (the dark ones) are the friendliest.

Obviously, anyone with mobility issues should drive up and park at the top. Feel free to pull onto the grass before the house to keep the top clear for other vehicles.

NO Dogs. Llamas are expected to guard against coyotes so we prefer to limit their interaction with canines. Thanks!
posted by terrapin to Meetup (16 comments total) 3 users marked this as a favorite

We're only a couple hours away, and I'm not sure I can physically prevent my wife from visiting llamas if she is invited to. I'll see if we can get this on our schedule!
posted by restless_nomad at 7:07 AM on August 4 [2 favorites]

Of course your wife is invite! Hope you can make it.
posted by terrapin at 8:25 AM on August 4

NYCer here who loves the outdoors and has still somehow not made it up to Vermont in the six years I've been here despite saying I want to every fall. I loved both New Hampshire and Maine. I'm free that weekend and making it a priority to come! And I decided that before I even know about the bonus llamas!!!
posted by unannihilated at 3:12 PM on August 4 [1 favorite]

I'll put myself down as a maybe. I have a Sunday morning class starting in September but perhaps I can either drive home in the evening or get up early in time for the class.
posted by bondcliff at 3:22 PM on August 4 [2 favorites]

So great to see usernames for people I have not had the pleasure to meet IRL yet!
posted by terrapin at 12:17 PM on August 5

I'm a hard maybe to come down from Adamant (VT) for this, though kids' schedules can sometimes get in the way. But hope to come!
posted by baseballpajamas at 8:38 AM on August 10 [2 favorites]

It's about an hour away for me. Never been to a meetup before, but we (2 of us) are maybes.
posted by transient at 5:04 AM on August 11 [2 favorites]

glad to see the maybes and the yeses growing!
posted by terrapin at 5:30 PM on August 11

This will miraculously take place during a long-planned road trip for me at pretty much the perfect time and place. I'll be en route from Grand Rapids, Michigan to Boston (making a few stops before I'm in the area). I'll likely be there right around 3 and only able to stick around an hour or two, but I'm looking forward to making the stop.
posted by LionIndex at 4:02 PM on August 12 [2 favorites]

That's awesome, LionIndex! Will be nice to see a SpoFite too!
posted by terrapin at 8:00 AM on August 15

Is there a place in your yard I can set up a tent if I want to crash?

I'll probably be a maybe up until the weekend as I'll be playing it by ear. Mrs. Bondcliff (Amy) is also a maybe.
posted by bondcliff at 7:04 AM on August 16

bondcliff: the area next to the house where we play bocce is level but a bit bumpy. But I'm sure we can find something. Glad to hear Amy may make it too!
posted by terrapin at 4:54 PM on August 17 [1 favorite]

bondcliff: Thanks for the follow on Instagram. I hope you can make it as my fiddle/mando-playing mother-in-law would love to meet you :)
posted by terrapin at 10:23 AM on August 19 [1 favorite]

I actually just came in here to ask about sleeping outside too!
posted by unannihilated at 6:43 AM on August 20

I actually just came in here to ask about sleeping outside too!

Eideteker usually puts a hammock up in the woods when they visit!
posted by terrapin at 8:07 AM on August 22

MetaFilter: puts a hammock up in the woods
posted by not_on_display at 11:15 PM on August 22

You are not currently logged in. Log in or create a new account to post comments.