Top of the Park
posted June 4, 2014 7:28 AM   RSS | iCal | +googleCal

Fri June 20 at 6:00 PM, Top of the Park
Ingalls Mall, University of Michigan, 881 North University Avenue, Ann Arbor, MI, USA (Map & Directions)
Update: we will meet at Top of the Park, unless it's rained out, in which case we'll meet at Silvios on North U.
Original Description: It's June; time for the Ann Arbor Summer Festival and Top of the Park, and a good time to try another MetaFilter meetup.

HuronBob, leslies, nat and I did some emailing offline, and came up with Friday, June 20, as the best day, given various schedules.

So how about if those of us in the Detroit/Ann Arbor area meet around 6:00, in the sectioned-off area where we can have drinks?

Please reply here if you're coming so we know how big a table to grab. Also of course with questions/comments/suggestions.

If you don't know about Summer Fest/TOP, it's an annual event, mid-June thru early July. There are various concerts and shows in nearby auditoriums (this year includes Lily Tomlin, Momix, NPR's Ask Me Another and CAKE) that charge admission, but TOP is free (donations are requested), outdoors, with live music until dusk and movies after dark. It's a lot of fun - there's seating, tables, food booths, beer and wine, and enough people show up that it's like a big outdoor party.

If TOP is rained out we'll meet at Silvios on North U.
posted by still_wears_a_hat to Meetup (38 comments total) 1 user marked this as a favorite

It's on our calendar - looking forward to it! (and did not get a mefimail about the event oddly)
posted by leslies at 10:23 AM on June 4, 2014 [1 favorite]

Hoping for no rain. I've gotta pack on Saturday (leaving for 4 weeks). But I'm really looking forward to this!
posted by nat at 12:16 PM on June 4, 2014 [2 favorites]

I am slightly worried that posting this as a planned event rather than a proposed event means fewer MI folk have seen it...
posted by nat at 1:02 PM on June 10, 2014

I think I can change it - I didn't realize that made a difference.

OK, I've changed it to proposed.
posted by still_wears_a_hat at 1:29 PM on June 10, 2014 [1 favorite]

I dunno! It shows up now on the list of Proposed Meetups in IRL, which is nice because then people who look through there by location (as I often do) might see it.
I suppose I could also go through and memail people from past MI IRL threads, but I'm too busy to get to it until next week.
posted by nat at 6:40 AM on June 11, 2014 [1 favorite]

I can do those, or at least some.
posted by still_wears_a_hat at 10:57 AM on June 11, 2014 [1 favorite]

I've emailed all the people I could find from the previous meetup posts. Etrigan and EvaDestruction said they can't make it but to say hi to everyone for them.

I've changed this back to "confirmed", but given the forecast, we should probably have a plan in case of rain. Should be plan to meet somewhere else, or try the following evening? I'm fine with either one, but don't think that everyone else is, so please weigh in.
posted by still_wears_a_hat at 5:09 AM on June 16, 2014

wait, is this going to be next Monday (the 23rd) now?
posted by Uniformitarianism Now! at 9:05 AM on June 16, 2014

Am confused - are we changing date to the 23rd?
posted by leslies at 10:33 AM on June 16, 2014

No, sorry, once again I somehow managed to miss that the date field changed. It's still Friday the 20th. I don't know what's happening to my brain.
posted by still_wears_a_hat at 1:00 PM on June 16, 2014

Personally I can't make Saturday and will be flying out Sunday, so I won't be involved in any rain plans, but it's likely a good idea to make some.
posted by nat at 3:03 PM on June 16, 2014

We could make the rain plan just meeting somewhere inside Friday at the same time.
posted by still_wears_a_hat at 4:57 PM on June 16, 2014

BOO. You guys SUCK. I hope it rains on you all.

(Just making sure this gets in my Recent Activity.)
posted by Etrigan at 5:58 PM on June 16, 2014 [1 favorite]

Etrigan are you away on Friday? BOO right back in that case!

If it rains we could head to someplace nearby like Red Hawk or Sava - thoughts?
posted by leslies at 7:15 AM on June 17, 2014

Yeah, SoD and I are in NY/Penn/Ohio from Friday this to Friday next.
posted by Etrigan at 7:17 AM on June 17, 2014

Thanks to the folks who sent emails about this, I would have missed it otherwise. I think I have a 51% chance of not being able to make it unfortunately, but I'll see if I can get that improved to 49% or lower.
posted by kiltedtaco at 8:22 AM on June 17, 2014 [2 favorites]

I think going somewhere nearby Friday if it rains is a good idea. Either Red Hawk or Sava are fine with me.
posted by still_wears_a_hat at 8:23 AM on June 17, 2014

Hi Guys, I just wanted to pop in here because I've been sent several memails about this event.

This is an outside adventure, yes? If so, then I cannot make it. I am keeping an eye out for the next event, though! I'm finally feeling brave enough to meet all of you!

Thanks to everyone who poked me in hopes that I could attend.
posted by royalsong at 11:18 AM on June 17, 2014

Thanks for the memail. If all goes well, two of us and the toddler will be there.
posted by SandiBeech at 12:09 PM on June 17, 2014 [1 favorite]

Let's make a decision about an indoors location so that if it's pouring people know where to go.
posted by leslies at 1:12 PM on June 17, 2014

Let's. Red Hawk, Sava, Silvios are all fine with me. Where do you think it would be easiest to get a table for 8-10 people on a rainy Friday around 6?
posted by still_wears_a_hat at 1:50 PM on June 17, 2014

Red hawk is my preference. Sorry, this is BillW. Didn't know that Leslie was signed in on the iPad.
posted by leslies at 7:13 AM on June 18, 2014

My only concern with Red Hawk is that it might be hard to get a table for that many people (especially as we aren't all that likely to all show up at the same time). Any thoughts on that?

The forecast is looking a lot better than it was earlier in the week, so I'm hoping we don't need to use the rain plan, but agree that we should have one.
posted by still_wears_a_hat at 1:40 PM on June 18, 2014

If Friday is like today, my rain plan is to stay inside all day and sulk.

As far as indoors possibilities, there's also World of Beer on the other side of campus; I feel like I was with a group of 10 or so at about 6 on a Friday there. You can order in food from a few local restaurants (or bring your own).
posted by nat at 8:37 PM on June 18, 2014

Silvios or Sava might be better able to accommodate a big group than Red Hawk. I find World of Beer to be terribly loud - even more than the other places and hence very hard for me to follow conversations.
posted by leslies at 4:08 AM on June 19, 2014

How about if we say Silvios, just because the logistics for 8 or more people are better, and hope for no rain.
posted by still_wears_a_hat at 8:41 AM on June 19, 2014

posted by leslies at 1:45 PM on June 19, 2014

Ack, I'm out. I just received the--quite reasonable, so I am not complaining--bill for my dog's paws-on approach to toxicology and hospitalization. (The dog is fine, ftr, although I'm sure she's still wounded no one else appreciated her delicious treasure as much as she did.)

Have a great time, and I'll try to hit the next one. :)
posted by Uniformitarianism Now! at 5:31 AM on June 20, 2014

Uniformitarianism Now - come on out - we'll buy you a beer!
posted by leslies at 5:58 AM on June 20, 2014 [1 favorite]

Royalsong, if it's raining, we'll be indoors ...
posted by still_wears_a_hat at 6:14 AM on June 20, 2014

Yup, I am with Leslies here--definitely in for buying you a beer, UN!
posted by nat at 10:31 AM on June 20, 2014 [2 favorites]

aw, you all are so kind! I really wasn't meaning to plead for beer--but please consider my arm twisted. see everyone soon!
posted by Uniformitarianism Now! at 1:33 PM on June 20, 2014

Yay! I think we should just go indoors though - the radar does not look promising and I'm sure everything is waterlogged as well.
posted by leslies at 2:04 PM on June 20, 2014

Yeah. Yuck. I'm on my way to Silvios.
posted by nat at 2:54 PM on June 20, 2014

Me too. Let's just call the rainout.
posted by still_wears_a_hat at 3:03 PM on June 20, 2014

Was fun last night! I"m thinking Huron Bob and the Huskies would be a good band name...
posted by leslies at 6:37 AM on June 21, 2014 [1 favorite]

According to Wikipedia, the Huskies are:
a scramble band from Michigan Technological University in Houghton, Michigan. They bill themselves as "The Cream of the Keweenaw, The Pride of Pastyland, The Second Best Feeling in the World."
Like the rest of us, Wikipedia has no idea who Huron Bob is.
posted by still_wears_a_hat at 7:08 AM on June 21, 2014 [1 favorite]

sorry to have missed it, will be at the book fair downtown today w/ family, so send me a message if you are too :).
posted by mdn at 12:03 PM on June 21, 2014

This thread has been archived and is closed to new comments