Weekly Brooklyn Meetup
posted December 7, 2011 7:13 PM   RSS | iCal | +googleCal

Wed December 14 at 7:00 PM, The Brooklyn Inn
138 Bergen St, Brooklyn, NY, USA (Map & Directions)
Weekly meetup at the aptly named Brooklyn Inn. Pool table, jukebox, chairs, tables--what's not to like?
Well, it's cash only. I don't like that. There's an ATM there, though.

Last time, lots of people showed up around 6:30-7 but at least ten people were still there at 9 when I left, so don't be shy just because you can't get there right on time.

We had a great turnout last time despite the torrential rain.

Looking forward to seeing some people again and others for the first time!
posted by the young rope-rider to Meetup (34 comments total)

Woot woot. Ooh, and it looks like I can take the B103 to get there! The B103 is magical. It picks me up right outside my house and then Atlantic Terminal (or a block away, anyway) is the next stop. I love it.
posted by ocherdraco at 12:51 PM on December 8, 2011 [1 favorite]

Woah, I have to check that one out, but I guess it doesn't stop at my house because it is too busy being magical!

The F doesn't stop at my stop right now either :(
posted by the young rope-rider at 1:10 PM on December 8, 2011

yay! i'll put this into my calendar so i don't miss it this time around. is the weekly meetup always going to be here?
posted by cristinacristinacristina at 1:50 PM on December 8, 2011

For the foreseeable future, I think so. I wish it were easier for L-train/JM train people to get there though.

When the weather gets better we should move it somewhere with a backyard!
posted by the young rope-rider at 2:02 PM on December 8, 2011

Might try to make it, might drag Narrative Priorities with me. Maybe I'll... ride my bike there.
posted by pts at 11:58 AM on December 10, 2011

*record scratch* A BIKE!!?

Well, good thing IRL defaults to the terrain map so you can see the many hills and valleys of downtown Brooklyn/Boerum Hill!

(just kidding about the record scratch, there are lots of bike-y mefites in Brooklyn!)
posted by the young rope-rider at 1:23 PM on December 10, 2011

How come the Metatalk sidebar thingee says NYC sometimes and Brooklyn sometimes for Brooklyn meetups? Just curious.

Also, I'll be there again. Last one was fun. Mostly because we kept winning at pool.
posted by overhauser at 3:53 PM on December 10, 2011

overhauser, Brooklyn is in NYC, as are Queens, the Bronx, and the other boroughs. Maybe Manhattan vs Brooklyn would be a more meaningful distinction.
posted by StickyCarpet at 6:10 PM on December 10, 2011

I don't know, it might have something to do with Google's insistence that Brooklyn is actually New York, NY.

To me, NY, NY = Manhattan because that's how the post office does it.

There needs to be some distinction; otherwise addresses get duplicated and that's no good.
posted by the young rope-rider at 6:23 PM on December 10, 2011

<3 bikes <3
posted by cristinacristinacristina at 9:55 AM on December 12, 2011 [1 favorite]

Might show up to this as my first MeFi meetup. How will I know where you guys are there? Or are you likely to be the only large group of people there at 7ish?
posted by gregoryg at 8:21 PM on December 12, 2011

We will be the only large group of people there at 7-ish! There are two back rooms, one with a pool table, and we'll be back there instead of up at the bar.

I will ask anyone who looks confused if they're looking for THE INTERNET, so if you can't find us, walk around looking confused and I will find you!
posted by the young rope-rider at 8:32 PM on December 12, 2011

Looks like the weather is going to hold so I will be there before 9, or around then. Not sure about f-cakes, we shall see.

Fuq, come out to play! Now that I live here in Woodside and am old and confused I carouse half as much.
posted by vrakatar at 6:51 PM on December 13, 2011

I can't make it this week, but everyone else should go, because last time was a lot of fun. And that's coming from someone who lost at pool all night.
posted by Ragged Richard at 7:47 PM on December 13, 2011

I have to stop by my house at 7ish tonight. If I still feel like travelling from Queens to Brooklyn at that point, I'll come!
posted by showbiz_liz at 8:00 AM on December 14, 2011

Unless, of course, someone in lower Manhattan or Brooklyn wants to let me take a post-gym shower at their apartment first...
posted by showbiz_liz at 8:10 AM on December 14, 2011

I will try to show up near 7ish.
posted by whir at 9:14 AM on December 14, 2011

I'll be there at 7!
posted by Salamandrous at 3:40 PM on December 14, 2011

Or shortly thereafter since I got completely turned around...
posted by Salamandrous at 4:00 PM on December 14, 2011

I'm at the corner of the bar in a red shirt. Tap me when you get here if I don't know you yet!
posted by Salamandrous at 4:17 PM on December 14, 2011

Be there in 5 or so minutes! I got turned around too.
posted by the young rope-rider at 4:18 PM on December 14, 2011

So, I'm gonna skip this one. Have fun, everyone! See you next week?
posted by defenestration at 4:24 PM on December 14, 2011

We're here in the middle room, wearing red and black!
posted by the young rope-rider at 4:32 PM on December 14, 2011

We're in the front part of the room before the pool table
posted by Salamandrous at 4:34 PM on December 14, 2011

Got caught up playing with my three and half year old girl, looking at lit up Santa's in sidewalk windows and Ho ho ho-ing. It's harder than it sounds. (Like break your heart one time per second is this my life-and how did I get here(!?) kinda hard. Kids is like that, as I'm sure you're getting Ms. new mom TYR.)

Anyhow my Brooklyn Mefi peeps, I'm in for the evening. I swear I want to make it at least one of these times before the holidays are over.

A good night to all and to all a good night, for tonight.
posted by Skygazer at 5:49 PM on December 14, 2011

I can't believe I stayed so long - you all are too fun. (If you didn't make it there yet it's too late now, we all left. Come next week!)
posted by Salamandrous at 7:47 PM on December 14, 2011

Aww, Skygazer, that's adorable! Picture?

Great time everyone!
posted by the young rope-rider at 7:49 PM on December 14, 2011

Nice to see y'all. The book I mentioned later in the evening was God: A Biography, by Jack Miles. According to Wikipedia it won a pulitzer.
posted by whir at 8:12 PM on December 14, 2011 [1 favorite]

Awesome, thanks. What a strange conversational turn that was.

And what is the zombie book about Israel?
posted by the young rope-rider at 8:17 PM on December 14, 2011

Home again home again. Groovy little meetup! F-cackes and I will try to make the next one.

I wonder, with the NFL season winding down and the playoffs looming, if a Sunday football meetup (it could go on...and on....and on...) is something people would care to explore.
posted by vrakatar at 8:33 PM on December 14, 2011

World War Z is the book! The Israel part is only one section of it, but the whole thing is a good read.

Great time, will try to make it next week too.
posted by gregoryg at 9:06 PM on December 14, 2011

Here you go The Young Rope Rider. Hope it works, otherwise add me in G+ (but it should work for you.)

Giovanna 3 1/2, riding home from pre-school on her scooter.

posted by Skygazer at 9:29 PM on December 14, 2011

Hey you guys! That was fun!!
posted by feistycakes at 11:32 AM on December 15, 2011

Next week's meetup is on Tuesday for Christmas related reasons, hope to see you there!
posted by the young rope-rider at 5:55 PM on December 17, 2011

This thread has been archived and is closed to new comments