Lazy Tokyo Meetup
posted January 12, 2017 5:26 PM   RSS | iCal | +googleCal

Sat January 28 at 6:00 PM, DevilCraft Hamamatsucho
2 Chome-13-12 Hamamatsuchō, Minato-ku, Tōkyō-to 105-0013, Japan (Map & Directions)
We Tokyo MeFites are notorious for not actually meeting up very much. In that spirit this is the laziest MeFi Meetup proposal ever. Let's just get together somewhere.
An early evening January 28th to get together at UPDATED! DevilCraft Hamamatsucho to eat food, drink beverages, and talk a bit. That's it.
posted by Gotanda to Meetup (72 comments total)

Not to break confidentiality, but I would be that other time-pressed Mefite. I've been working at the Hamamatsucho branch of DevilCraft since the summer, and for the most part, I'm working the early shift. I don't have my schedule for the rest of the month yet, but usually I'm done by four or five (and then I sit at the bar and enjoy my staff beer, which is a pretty awesome perk). I'm up for most anywhere, though as is traditional, I'm a big fan of eastern Tokyo because somehow I ended up living in Chiba.

Just as an idea, there is a new branch of Craft Beer Market in Otemachi. It's pretty much in the center of the business district, and both times I've been there (both times on Saturday's) it's been utterly dead (I'm guessing they're packed on weeknights). It's smaller than some of the others, but their food thing is MEXICAN! TACOS! WOOO! and it's pretty decent stuff, really. CBM is on the cheaper end of beer bars, they have a wide variety of beers (like 30 taps), and it's a pretty decent place. That'd be my suggestion, though I'm open to others.
posted by Ghidorah at 11:22 PM on January 12, 2017

Works for me. I'd prefer the 28th. Also I know the staff at CBM Otemachi well. Keep in mind indoor seating is at a premium so even on a Saturday it would be good to make a reservation unless you like drinking in the cold!
posted by armage at 12:13 AM on January 13, 2017

CBM Otemachi is an excellent suggestion, and I also like the food there. I can't make it on the 21st, but I'm free on the 28th....
posted by Umami Dearest at 12:22 AM on January 13, 2017

28th is better for me, too, depending on my schedule, which I should find out soon.
posted by Ghidorah at 12:56 AM on January 13, 2017

Armage, the last couple times I've been, it's been pretty empty on Saturdays. Is it starting to pick up there?

By the way, your name just autocorrected to Armageddon. Thought you should know.
posted by Ghidorah at 12:58 AM on January 13, 2017

I need to swing by the capital fairly soon, just have to see if I can make either of these dates work. Probably more like the 28th.
posted by Juso No Thankyou at 1:17 AM on January 13, 2017

Otemachi would be great! Will try to attend, the 28th is fine with me.
posted by misozaki at 2:09 AM on January 13, 2017

Sounds like we are converging on CBM Otemachi on the 28th. It'll be really good to get together with some MeFites!
posted by Gotanda at 3:38 AM on January 13, 2017

I just found out my schedule for the last half of the month, and unfortunately I'm scheduled for 9am on the following day. If it's at all possible to get started at an earlier hour (say, 6?) so I can scamper before I've had too much delicious beer, that would be pretty great. What are folks thoughts on time? If we need to make reservations, let's try to get this hammered out. after all, Tokyo meet up!
posted by Ghidorah at 3:21 PM on January 13, 2017

I'm good with 6pm. An early evening suits me just fine. And, if anyone wants to carry on, there is nijikai.
posted by Gotanda at 4:20 PM on January 13, 2017

Yes, earlier works for me too!
posted by misozaki at 8:34 PM on January 13, 2017 [1 favorite]

Despite having been AWOL around here for a while, I'm definitely up for a meetup. An early start would be totally fine, so 6pm sounds groovy.
posted by Bugbread at 9:21 PM on January 13, 2017 [1 favorite]

Despite having been AWOL around here for a while a lot longer than a 'while' ...

Not sure if I am still allowed to call myself a MeFite, not having visited the site in at least a year or so, but if you'll still have me, I think I can do this one ...
posted by woodblock100 at 10:22 PM on January 13, 2017 [1 favorite]

Six is fine with me. I think CBM is open until eleven, but I know a few other spots if necessary.
posted by Umami Dearest at 1:47 AM on January 14, 2017

Woodblock, you just posted on the site using your login and member name. You're an official member, and I'd be thrilled to see you even if you weren't.
posted by Ghidorah at 1:32 PM on January 14, 2017 [1 favorite]

you just posted on the site using your login and member name

I did remember my login, but the password was out of the question ... I had to go to my paper backups to recover that. And I dread taking a peek at the blue; I seem to remember that there is a notification there to the effect that 'There have been XXX posts since you last visited this page ...' If I were to visit now, I think the XXX would be so large it would crash my system ... :~)

Anyway, yeah ... that Saturday is open for me, and it will be fun to see everybody again. I have to be at the shop here 'till 6:00, but will lock up and head over there after that. (And if there's a chance during the conversations, I need a bit of advice about a baking project we're cooking up, if anybody has a bit of expertise ...)
posted by woodblock100 at 3:34 PM on January 14, 2017 [1 favorite]

I am so looking forward to this. Maybe wait another day or so and then I guess I'd better make a reservation for 8 for maybes or in case we get some last minute people. Can always cut back on the number if need be.
posted by Gotanda at 5:27 PM on January 14, 2017

I'd go for ten, just because I'm feeling optimistic, and it's easier for them to open up more space if we have fewer people than to make more space.

If it wasn't so stupidly cold, from about November, they've had a discount for sitting outside, but yeah, stupid cold (they have blankets though).
posted by Ghidorah at 6:23 PM on January 14, 2017

I needed to check that my plans to help a friend move wouldn't prevent me from attending, but I should be able to make it on the 28th, though quite likely later than 6:00.
posted by Strutter Cane - United Planets Stilt Patrol at 12:16 AM on January 15, 2017

Look who the cat dragged in (me)!
I work in Roppongi, so Otemachi is a good location, though six is too early. I should be able to roll in by seven though.
Do they have something other than tacos? I don't like tacos because I am a Trump supporter. Quesadillas rock though; I live a conflicted life.
posted by GoingToShopping at 3:01 AM on January 16, 2017

Wait, didn't realize this was on a Saturday. I'm good with six.
posted by GoingToShopping at 3:03 AM on January 16, 2017

Something came up and I'm going to slink back to "maybe." Gomennasai.
posted by misozaki at 3:43 PM on January 16, 2017

I'm going to put down myself as a maybe, if only because I need socialization but I'm not terribly keen on beer (but willing to take recommendations).

(Also somewhat intimidated after seeing y'all's join dates for this site)
posted by lesser weasel at 9:00 PM on January 16, 2017 [1 favorite]

Lesser weasel, craft beer market does have non beer and non alcohol options. And don't pay any attention to join dates. Members are members, regardless of how long ago they joined, and socialization is good.

Sorry to hear you're maybe'd Misozaki. I hope you can make it out.
posted by Ghidorah at 2:48 AM on January 17, 2017 [1 favorite]

And GoingtoShopping, they have all sorts of stuff. A friend from Texas gave the enchiladas a solid thumbs up.
posted by Ghidorah at 2:49 AM on January 17, 2017

I have a friend from Mexico who liked the food!

And CBM also has pretty good sake as well as other drinks.
posted by Umami Dearest at 4:14 PM on January 17, 2017

So, uh, who wants to make a reservation? I still think start with a high number and scale down as we get closer (like aim for ten, then let them know we'll only be like five or six a couple days in advance) to the 28th.

/screams "not it," puts thumb to forehead, runs away
posted by Ghidorah at 6:36 PM on January 18, 2017 [1 favorite]

Not it!
posted by Bugbread at 7:59 PM on January 19, 2017 [1 favorite]

...maybe this is why we're notorious for not meeting up much.
posted by Bugbread at 7:59 PM on January 19, 2017 [1 favorite]

Well, let's make a decision, and I can call today or tomorrow. Ten people, at 6, for the 28th? If we do get more than ten, people who maybe'd can have an interpretive dance battle to decide the seating!
posted by Ghidorah at 9:31 PM on January 19, 2017

I just called and made a reservation for 10 people. But they said it has to be standing. Hope that's OK.
posted by Gotanda at 12:03 AM on January 20, 2017

Thanks for calling. Shame about the no seats thing, but it won't kill me.
posted by Ghidorah at 2:57 AM on January 20, 2017

Ah, sorry, I will bow out.
posted by Umami Dearest at 5:05 AM on January 20, 2017

Sorry I won't be able to meet you, Umami Dearest!
posted by Bugbread at 1:41 PM on January 20, 2017 [1 favorite]

Oh, and I'm okay with standing as well.
posted by Bugbread at 1:41 PM on January 20, 2017

If standing is the problem, I'm pretty sure I can reserve a table at Devilcraft Hamamatsucho. I mean, I'd just have to sit here once I finish my shift, waiting for everyone to show up. Whatever would I do to pass the time?

(Hint: staff beer)
posted by Ghidorah at 11:57 PM on January 20, 2017 [1 favorite]

That sounds good to me, I like DevilCraft and I like sitting in chairs.... If there's space on a Saturday night....
posted by Umami Dearest at 3:08 AM on January 21, 2017

I kinda work there. I can probably swing something. I'm working tomorrow, I'll ask if there's space. We'd definitely need to have a set number, so if people could let me know, I'd appreciate it.
posted by Ghidorah at 4:26 AM on January 21, 2017

I'm pretty sure I can reserve a table at Devilcraft Hamamatsucho

This would be a better option. A bunch of people standing up against a bar isn't really conducive to good group conversation ... and if it's only going to be 8~10 people, a table would be much more pleasant, I think ...
posted by woodblock100 at 4:35 PM on January 21, 2017

I've made a reservation for 6pm for ten people.They don't require them, but they do offer party plans, at ¥2000/person for fries & onion rings, salad, chips and dip, and (for ten people) three large pizzas. For ¥2500/person, there's wings and dessert. Personally, I would go for the ¥2000 plan if we want to do that, but again, not required.
posted by Ghidorah at 11:33 PM on January 21, 2017 [1 favorite]

Oh, and if we end up with more than ten, that should be okay, but if we can figure that out by, say, Wednesday, that would probably be good.
posted by Ghidorah at 11:38 PM on January 21, 2017

Well done! Looking forward to it....
posted by Umami Dearest at 1:50 AM on January 22, 2017

I'm fine either way regarding the party plans (though my preference would be the 2000 yen one, because I don't eat wings and I doubt I could fit dessert).
posted by Bugbread at 8:14 PM on January 22, 2017 [1 favorite]

If we're counting heads for the Party Plan, I'd be OK also ... either way is fine by me.
posted by woodblock100 at 8:44 PM on January 22, 2017

Would've loved to go, but I can't that night. Hopefully this won't be the last one!
posted by fyolnish at 10:15 PM on January 22, 2017

Just to confirm, the venue has been decidedly changed to Devilcraft? (The map at the top of the post still says CBM, but I'm not sure if that's able to be changed)

Hamamatsucho is personally a much better location for me, since I'll most likely be on my way from Enoshima that day.
posted by lesser weasel at 10:30 PM on January 22, 2017

Hi, sorry lesser weasel and all. Got the info updated now. Devilcraft for certain.
Now let's see if we can decide party plans. Looks like Ghidorah, bugbread, woodblock are all ok for the 2,000. Me too. Wings aren't my thing so much.
posted by Gotanda at 3:21 AM on January 23, 2017

I'm fine as well!
posted by armage at 3:29 AM on January 23, 2017

I'm locking in a yes RSVP and I'm good for the 2,000 plan.
posted by lesser weasel at 3:14 PM on January 23, 2017

I'm fine with no party plan, but happy with the 2000-yen plan if we need to order as a group....
posted by Umami Dearest at 4:34 PM on January 23, 2017

I think I can make it. 2000-yen plan is fine with me. Looking forward to seeing you all!
posted by misozaki at 1:34 PM on January 24, 2017

I'm in and I've got 2000円 to burn!
posted by emmling at 4:09 AM on January 25, 2017

Wow, this is going to be the biggest meet-up in ages! That's ten people now, Jusu, Strutter, GTS, and brappi, any chance you can let me know in the next 24 hours or so? If we're going to be more than 10, I need to let them know as soon as I can. Thanks.

As for pizzas and such, are there any food issues? Vegetarians, issues with cheese, anything like that?
posted by Ghidorah at 4:27 AM on January 25, 2017

I'm pretty sure I'll be able to make it.
posted by Strutter Cane - United Planets Stilt Patrol at 5:37 AM on January 25, 2017

alas, I will be unable to make it this time. 'ave a good one!
posted by brappi at 11:07 PM on January 25, 2017

Just had to switch from Yes to Maybe. Been fighting a cold since Tuesday and hoped I'd have it beat by now, but no such luck. See if I can get well enough in 24 hours!
posted by Gotanda at 12:36 AM on January 27, 2017

Two bottles of C1000, STAT! It's poor form to post a meet up and not, you know, meet up.

Seriously, though, feel better. Hope to see you tomorrow.
posted by Ghidorah at 4:10 AM on January 27, 2017 [1 favorite]

Just to remind that I'll be a late arrival tonight; I have to keep the shop open 'till 6:00, but will head over there after I close up. Save me a slice!
posted by woodblock100 at 6:03 PM on January 27, 2017

No problem, Woodblock!

Since no one got back about pizza, how does 1 sausage mushroom, 1 sausage pepperoni, and either a cheese or a veggie deluxe sound?
posted by Ghidorah at 7:13 PM on January 27, 2017

Sounds great!
posted by Bugbread at 8:42 PM on January 27, 2017

About ten hours sleep, several giant vats of tea, and massive antibiotics have done the trick. ANd, the pizza selections sound great.
posted by Gotanda at 9:09 PM on January 27, 2017 [1 favorite]

Pizza options sound good!
posted by lesser weasel at 10:09 PM on January 27, 2017

I'm glad you feel better, Gotanda. I'm good with the pizzas. I might not get there by six but will show up. See you all later!
posted by misozaki at 11:23 PM on January 27, 2017

I'm going to be late too.
posted by brujita at 11:56 PM on January 27, 2017

Maybe sort of weird, but if you just tell them you're with "Jeremy's party" it'll be easy for the staff to figure out.
posted by Ghidorah at 12:19 AM on January 28, 2017

I will be there by 18:45. Please go ahead without me!
posted by armage at 1:10 AM on January 28, 2017

It was great to see so many people out tonight. If we're going to aim for the quarterly thing, this just popped up. It looks like Tokyo is supposed to be all Hanami'd up around 3/22. Potluck hanami! I've got blankets, I can bring snacks!
posted by Ghidorah at 7:03 AM on January 28, 2017

Fun was had last night! I'm sorry I couldn't say hi to brujita waaaaaaay down the table from me but I hope we'll meet again and have a chance to talk at the next meetup, which I'm crossing my fingers will happen sometime before bonenkai season this year. Thanks for organizing yesterday's meetup Gotanda and Ghidorah.
posted by misozaki at 1:29 PM on January 28, 2017 [1 favorite]

Really surprised how many people turned out. It was great to see people I hadn't talked to in a couple of years and meet some new (to me) MeFites. Just a good night out of food and conversation was just the thing. Next up, hanami!
posted by Gotanda at 6:38 PM on January 28, 2017 [1 favorite]

I'm just visiting, but I'll definitely come to a meetup on my next trip.
posted by brujita at 7:36 PM on January 28, 2017 [2 favorites]

It was really good meeting you all, thank you for setting up the meetup! I'm looking forward to any new ones.
posted by lesser weasel at 7:42 PM on January 28, 2017 [1 favorite]

Psst! New meetup plan for 12 March.
posted by Gotanda at 7:10 PM on February 14, 2017

This thread has been archived and is closed to new comments