Cincinnati: Louisvillians ATTACK
posted April 10, 2016 6:07 PM   RSS | iCal | +googleCal

Sat April 16 at 3:00 PM, Rhinegeist Brewpub
1910 Elm St, Cincinnati, OH, USA (Map & Directions)
Hey! Saturday April 16! Me and likeatoaster and chaoticgood (and non-mefite Mr. Oticgood) are driving from Louisville to Cincinnati! Plans include Jungle Jim's in the late morning (then maybe grabbing food at Findlay) and then Rhinegeist at 3 (possibly followed by other breweries, Purple Bridge, or other downtown attractions). If you're a Cincinnatian who wants to join before 3, you can email me on Saturday (email's in profile) to see where we are at any given time!
posted by Greg Nog to Meetup (50 comments total) 1 user marked this as a favorite

Also I have not ever really spent time in Cincinnati, so if anyone has cool suggestions, open to pitching a tent and making a weekend trip of it.
posted by likeatoaster at 6:18 PM on April 10, 2016

Yay!
posted by likeatoaster at 6:19 PM on April 10, 2016

Yes yes yes! I dumped a load of suggestions on Greg already so I'll let others chime in!
posted by cooker girl at 6:30 PM on April 10, 2016 [1 favorite]

Cincinatti is a great place. I'm sure you'll have a great time there, but you're lucky you made this a regional event. Otherwise I wouldn't have been able to warn you about Cincinnati chili. They put cinnamon in it. It is inedible.

I was about to add something about how they feed the chili to unsuspecting visitors so they can harvets your organs, but that probably isn't true.
posted by double block and bleed at 4:41 AM on April 11, 2016 [1 favorite]

Aw, rats! I'll be at a conference out of town that weekend. Enjoy Cincinnati!
posted by ChuraChura at 5:01 AM on April 11, 2016

The purple walking bridge is pretty awesome and, if the extended forecast proves accurate, the weather will be very ped-friendly.
posted by chaoticgood at 5:58 AM on April 11, 2016

Jungle Jim's is always a treat. Have fun!
posted by leotrotsky at 6:27 AM on April 11, 2016

Gregnog! I would love to see you again. I vote for Rheingeist and/or Braxton Brewery - both great places to hang out, Braxton a little less crowded.
posted by tizzie at 8:05 AM on April 11, 2016

If you feel like lunch after Jungle Jims, Taquiera Mercado is an excellent mexican place just down the street. They have a bakery next door if you just want to pick up some churros.
posted by Bistle at 9:22 AM on April 11, 2016 [1 favorite]

Don't listen to double block and bleed - Cincinnati chili is the bomb precisely because of the cinnamon. (Go to Skyline here in Louisville and see if I'm not telling the truth.)
posted by jbickers at 9:52 AM on April 11, 2016 [3 favorites]

I no longer live there, but a few suggestions:
Tour underground Cincinnati.
Visit the American Sign Museum.
Visit the Museum of Contemporary Art, which was designed by Zaha Hadid.
Visit Findley Market.
posted by carrienation at 10:14 AM on April 11, 2016

copypasting cooker girl's suggestions here:
For fun Cincinnati stuff, there's Smale Riverfront Park, Carew Tower, a walking tour of Over-The-Rhine (great architecture and brewery tour), just walking around OTR and seeing stuff, Washington Park, the Contemporary Arts Center downtown (now free!), the Museum Center at Union Terminal (the Hall of Justice was modeled after it!)...I could go on and on.
posted by Greg Nog at 12:21 PM on April 11, 2016

Also I have never had Cincinnati chili but it sounds like a fucking nightmare so of course I'm interested; if I were to get a bowl of "the brown stuff" from any place in the city (except large chains like Skyline that also exist here in Louisville), where would y'all suggest?
posted by Greg Nog at 12:29 PM on April 11, 2016

Cincinnati "chili" is best understood not as a chili per se, but more as a savory spaghetti sauce and/or hot dog topping. It's actually based on a Greek sauce recipe, and a marvelous example of American adaptations of foreign cuisine. Get a three-way (chili with spaghetti and shredded cheese) and a couple of coneys (chili dogs with cheese) and you've got the whole Cincy chili experience in a nutshell.

I strongly suggest Pleasant Ridge Chili, which serves not just traditional 3-ways and coneys, but all sorts of Cincy-area diner fare. If you stick around for the weekend, make sure you try some goetta (fried ground sausage mixed with oats) for breakfast, it's awesome.
posted by Strange Interlude at 12:46 PM on April 11, 2016 [3 favorites]

If you do Jungle Jim's make sure you go to the older/better Fairfield location rather than the one in Eastgate. They have a (non-functioning) monorail!
posted by Strange Interlude at 12:55 PM on April 11, 2016 [2 favorites]

I would suggest not eating the nasty stuff at all. Cincinnati chili is ick.

1) It isn't even chili.

2) They serve it over noodles.

When I first moved to Louisville and was introduced to it, I was mildly horrified. I had thought my native Wisconsin had won the prize in food combos that never should have seen the light of day (looking at you, can of cream of mushroom soup) but they don't sink so low as to put cinnamon in "chili".
posted by chaoticgood at 12:56 PM on April 11, 2016

I will not be in Cincinnati until June, alas, but I did want to say that I had Cincinnati chili when I was there last summer and it was decent. At the very least, I am alive to tell the tale. I'll never get over the noodles though.
posted by chainsofreedom at 1:10 PM on April 11, 2016

it sounds unappealing but:
a) it is apparently made by My People, greek macedonians (unsurprising, as we have a long history of exporting horrorshows all over the world)
b) as any food becomes increasingly weird, the probability of me ingesting it nears 1
posted by Greg Nog at 1:15 PM on April 11, 2016 [1 favorite]

Speaking as someone who had Skyline for lunch today and thoroughly enjoyed it, and who has visited Jungle Jim's a couple of times and loved it, I have to say I might be up for this. Is there any chance of an overnight stay, with resources pooled to make it as inexpensive as possible?

If that's the case (or maybe even if it's not), I've got a van and could tote 5-6 folks from the area with me to save on the gas money.
posted by jbickers at 1:33 PM on April 11, 2016 [1 favorite]

Yay! Regional alerts!

Boo! I'll miss the chance to meet Greg Nog & likeatoaster in person (I would totally drive down from Cleveland for this) since I just got kinda shanghaied to work The Lottery League show.

Ignore the h8trs, Greg, you want Cincy chili - full on 5-way; spaghetti, chili, beans, onions, cheese, then add hot sauce.
posted by soundguy99 at 1:45 PM on April 11, 2016 [1 favorite]

Sorry I can't make it, but I totally agree with soundguy99. 5-way is the best way.
posted by acorncup at 2:09 PM on April 11, 2016 [1 favorite]

> as any food becomes increasingly weird, the probability of me ingesting it nears 1

I christen thee... Greg Nog's Law!
posted by halonine at 3:23 PM on April 11, 2016 [1 favorite]

Seconding Pleasant Ridge Chili. It's the best chili parlor in Cincinnati imo (also noting it's open til 4:30 am but closed Sundays). Also seconding the Cincinnati Museum Center, I have spent countless hours there.

If you get the chance you might also want to consider having a drink at City View Tavern. Especially if the weather's nice, you can sit out on the balcony and look down on the whole city. It's a small place though, depending on how many people show up you might be overrunning the place, but that said it's usually pretty empty (the burgers there are great too) and honestly you very well might have the place to yourselves depending on what hour you show up.

I doubt I'd be able to make it but if my schedule turns around who knows.
posted by suddenly, and without warning, at 3:28 PM on April 11, 2016 [1 favorite]

Pleasant Ridge resident here...PR Chili is quite good. There is a themed "The Shining" bar across the street called The Overlook Lodge. For more old school bar (but with a good selection of local and national craft beers), the Gaslight Cafe is a block and a half from PR Chili. You mentioned Rhinegeist earlier and Cincinnati's other large craft producer Madtree is a 5 minute drive from PRC. Large group seating at the Gaslight can be tough since it is mostly booths. Madtree has communal tables although admittedly it does get crowded in the evening.

Depending on the time of the meetup, I might be able to make it.
posted by mmascolino at 3:55 PM on April 11, 2016 [1 favorite]

Is there any chance of an overnight stay, with resources pooled to make it as inexpensive as possible?
If that's the case (or maybe even if it's not), I've got a van and could tote 5-6 folks from the area with me to save on the gas money.

We'd be happy to do an overnight at a campsite, though we'd be equally delighted to just do a daytrip as originally planned. If you feel like vanning multiple people, we'd happily chip in for gas!
posted by Greg Nog at 4:23 PM on April 11, 2016

good job dude you know the adverbs and adjectives for happy
posted by Greg Nog at 4:23 PM on April 11, 2016 [2 favorites]

Okay, thinking about it, I say day-trip: maybe Jungle Jim's in the morn, beer in the early afternoon (Rhinegeist followed by Madtree), quick stop so I can get a chili in the late afternoon, walk across Purple Bridge in the early evening? Maybe other food somewhere in there?
posted by Greg Nog at 4:27 PM on April 11, 2016 [1 favorite]

Maybe Findlay Market for food between JJ's and breweries? So people can get whatever looks appealing?
posted by Greg Nog at 4:42 PM on April 11, 2016 [1 favorite]

We definitely only have a day trip in us. Gotta get home to the pets.

Are we going to try to incorporate the trip to Jungle Jim's into the meetup or have it start at Rhinegeist? My preference would be to get outta the Ville by 9-9:30, get to Jungle Jim's by 10:30-11ish. We should be able to see all the things by 1:30, so we could shoot for a meet-up at Rhinegeist at 2? Or 3 and hit Findlay Market on the way?
posted by chaoticgood at 5:29 PM on April 11, 2016

I think meeting all interested Cincinnatians at Rhinegeist at a specific time sounds like the way to go, and I imagine I would want a change of scenery after like 2 hours at Jungle Jim's; perhaps Rhinegeist at 2:30 for a gathering place/time? They welcome outside food there, so we can bring in any Findlay finds!
posted by Greg Nog at 6:41 PM on April 11, 2016 [1 favorite]

Or we can swing by Pleasant Ridge Chili and get a to-go order! To scratch your Cincy-chili-curiosity itch; I'm sure those of us who have already been down that road, willingly or not, can find other wonderful food.

I will google map all this stuff and see how doable it is.
posted by chaoticgood at 7:14 PM on April 11, 2016

Ooooh, Pho Lang Thang at Findlay....
posted by cooker girl at 8:07 PM on April 11, 2016 [1 favorite]

Oh and Taste of Belgium. Omg food yum.
posted by cooker girl at 8:09 PM on April 11, 2016

Both Jungle Jim's locations are in the suburbs pretty far away from the city proper, and most of the other stuff is in the middle of the city in Over the Rhine and Downtown, so be aware of that. I may be able to attend some things but my transportation options are pretty limited.
posted by Small Dollar at 8:34 PM on April 11, 2016

Dang it. Won't be able to make it, but it sounds like fun!
posted by eclectist at 12:18 PM on April 12, 2016

If I weren't getting married this weekend I'd totally join in.

Also, Camp Washington Chili or GTFO. Best people watching of any chili place in the city, it's open 24/6 (it's closed on Sundays I think?) and also has diner stuff in case you lose face when you stare down a 4-way with onions.

Also, put hot sauce on the oyster crackers.
posted by mostly vowels at 7:43 PM on April 12, 2016

Oh also if you are into weird meat products, go find some goetta at Findlay Market. I've talked Eckerlin's into making me a GLT before, but that was several years ago and was living away from Cincinnati at the time and was overcome with nostalgia.

Goetta is sort of like a less sexy very German version of boudin. But with steel cut oats.

You really can't go wrong with anything at Findlay Market. It's a great spot, especially on Saturdays. The tea blends at Churchill Teas are incredible.
posted by mostly vowels at 7:47 PM on April 12, 2016

Cincinnati has an awesome program that pays teenagers to make public art. As a result we have some breathtakingly beautiful murals around town. Several will be near Rhinegeist/Findlay Market.
posted by mostly vowels at 7:52 PM on April 12, 2016 [1 favorite]

happy wedding! congrats!
posted by likeatoaster at 5:59 AM on April 13, 2016

Goetta is sort of like a less sexy very German version of boudin. But with steel cut oats.

It sounds like haggis! And congrats on your wedding!

OKAY, I'm gonna call the meetup for 3PM at Rhinegeist; if you wanna join the Louisville crew for Jungle Jim's or Findlay or something beforehand, I think the thing to do would be to contact one of us directly to see where we are at any given time. After Rhinegeist, we can kinda figure out whether we want to go to other breweries or Purple Bridge or what.

SO: Cincinnati-dwellers, contact me to see where we are if you wanna join before 3! My email's in my profile, and push-notifies to my phone, so I should be pretty reachable!
posted by Greg Nog at 6:00 AM on April 13, 2016 [1 favorite]

Oh also if you are into weird meat products, go find some goetta at Findlay Market.

As the poster of the Livermush FPP, I am extra sad that I will be missing this.
posted by chainsofreedom at 6:52 AM on April 13, 2016 [1 favorite]

Rheingeist is only two blocks from Findlay Market - totally walkable. At Findlay, you can get Dojo gelato, Eli's BBQ (fantastic!) or bahn mi from Pho Lang Thang to take to Rheingeist. The upstairs deck at Rheingeist is new and is AMAZING.

Other not-to-be-missed (free!) spots are Smale Park, as cookergirl mentioned, and Sawyer Point. They're on the riverfront, give you a view of the stadiums, business district, Covington and Newport, and are filled with cool stuff that is not to be found anywhere else (including an evolution path at Sawyer Point that is my personal favorite counterpoint to the nearby Creation Museum!) There are also bikes and Segways for rent at Smale Park, FYI, in case you want to do any wheeling.

My e-mail's in my profile, and cookergirl has my cell.
posted by tizzie at 8:33 AM on April 13, 2016 [1 favorite]

Sorry all, but I have to rescind my offer to drive a van-full of people ... kid-related activities have reared their heads, and I will need to be home all day Saturday. Please raise a glass in my honor, and send pictures if you can. (And bring bottles, if you can:> )
posted by jbickers at 9:16 AM on April 13, 2016

Sorry to hear you won't be able to make it, jbickers. I was excited about being able to meet you (long-time loyal wfpler)!

We can totally drive. I will have to consult Mr Good about how early he wants to get up/what this week's skipping-leg-day policy is. If we shoot for leaving at 9ish, get to JJ's at 11ish, we should still have plenty of time to explore Findlay Market. I haven't had a good bahn mi in over a year. SO EXCITED
posted by chaoticgood at 10:15 AM on April 13, 2016 [3 favorites]

bickers, I am also sorry you'll be missing this trip, BUT if I end up finding Gros Michels in Louisville, I will try to call a mefi Banana Sampling Party so various Louisvillians can assist me in Banana Judgement
posted by Greg Nog at 5:57 PM on April 13, 2016

leaving my house now...I should be there in 20 minutes or so
posted by mmascolino at 12:00 PM on April 16, 2016

we are on the rooftop bar! sunglasses, banh mi, tattoos, and beers all the way down.
posted by likeatoaster at 12:07 PM on April 16, 2016

That describes 50% of everyone on the roof. :) I'm in a white "ski Cincinnati" T-shirt and glasses
posted by mmascolino at 12:46 PM on April 16, 2016

Thanks for coming out, everyone! It was lovely to see you again, tizzie! AND lovely to meet you for the first time, cooker girl and Small Dollar and mmascolino!
posted by Greg Nog at 2:40 PM on April 16, 2016 [3 favorites]

That was SO FUN. Loved hanging out with all of you. Come back soon - or we will journey to Loovul!
posted by tizzie at 2:51 PM on April 16, 2016 [4 favorites]

This thread has been archived and is closed to new comments