Quiz Night Part III
posted February 24, 2016 9:10 PM   RSS | iCal | +googleCal

Tue March 1 at 8:00 PM, George & Dragon Pub
206 N 36th St, Seattle, WA, USA (Map & Directions)
Quiz Night at the George & Dragon. We go for the threepeat.
posted by MoonOrb to Meetup (27 comments total)

I will be there with bells on, though will need to take off probably shortly after our undoubted victory. ;)
posted by corb at 6:40 AM on February 25, 2016

Maybe this time I'll actually answer a question.
posted by Special Agent Dale Cooper at 5:26 PM on February 25, 2016 [1 favorite]

Maybe this time I won't be out of the country or on my deathbed or detained by homeland security or attending the birth of a child or doing something else stupid and get down to something important on a Tuesday night for once.
posted by Slarty Bartfast at 9:00 PM on February 25, 2016 [1 favorite]

I am so very, very there.
posted by palmcorder_yajna at 10:21 PM on February 25, 2016 [1 favorite]

And Special Agent Dale Cooper, as I recall, you were highly instrumental in puzzling through many, many of the ones that we got right through collaborative guessing. That ain't nothing. Far from it.
posted by palmcorder_yajna at 11:42 PM on February 25, 2016 [1 favorite]

I was super sick yesterday (and all of the preceding days) and will be out of town this time. Maybe part 4 for me.
posted by MysticMCJ at 10:31 PM on February 26, 2016

Uh oh, seven listed as attending. We might end up having to form two teams (apparently you're only supposed to have six, they let it slide last time but iunno if they'll do so again).
posted by valrus at 9:47 AM on February 27, 2016

Yeah, if we end up over 6 we'll split into two groups (unlikely to need three). I have the buy-in for one group due to the previous win, so it might be wise for someone else to come equipped with $5. Also, it'd be a good idea to confirm if you're coming or not by, say, 7, so we can plan in advance to split up or not, otherwise a potential 7th person arriving late without notice will probably end up sitting out (or at least not contributing).
posted by Errant at 1:48 PM on February 27, 2016

We will settle once and for all which of us know the most useless shit. Game on.
posted by MoonOrb at 3:41 PM on February 27, 2016 [1 favorite]

I'm actually out this week, sadly. A friend's got a concert. Knock 'em dead, champs!
posted by palmcorder_yajna at 8:50 PM on February 28, 2016

We will settle once and for all which of us know the most useless shit. Game on.

Sometimes I feel like this is a winning-by-losing-type-situation.
posted by Special Agent Dale Cooper at 4:34 PM on February 29, 2016 [1 favorite]

awww, I would totally come and be useless deadweight but my Mr.slothhog is on night shift so no freedom at night!
posted by slothhog at 5:28 PM on February 29, 2016

Let me say they are all pretty forgiving of deadweight, and generous in calculating weight. Everyone, bar none, is a delight.
posted by corb at 7:09 PM on February 29, 2016

The track record of "people convinced they are deadweight" (palmcorder) vs. "people who think they know things" (me) is heavy on the side of the deadweighters.
posted by the man of twists and turns at 9:40 PM on February 29, 2016 [1 favorite]

I have never been to a pub quiz night and am, in fact, so nerdy that I'm still socially unsure in bars. I may possess some trivia, though. So (a) someone tell me the rules, please? and (b) I should suggest a meetup in the upstairs of the Allegro!
posted by clew at 2:47 PM on March 1, 2016

It's easy-show up at the bar before 8pm. It's small, there's just one room, we'll try to already have a table and hopefully you'll recognize some of us. If you don't, just be really conspicuous about pulling out your phone and we'll find you. We pay $5 to the quizmaster and they give us some notecards and a pen. They'll ask four rounds of questions, ten questions a round, and we talk about our answers, write them on the card, and turn them in. When it's over, we get money and free beer (well, that's how it went the last two weeks). It turns out to be pretty intuitive.

If when it's all said and done more than 6 of us show up tonight, we'll organize ourselves into more than one team, since there is apparently a limit on team size. We might kid around like we take this really seriously, but we don't, and it will be easy to sort ourselves into however many teams we need. The quizzes the last few weeks have been pretty fun and challenging and hopefully it's a good sign that this is the third straight week we're doing it, so the more people that can come out and hang out, the better.
posted by MoonOrb at 2:56 PM on March 1, 2016

On which note, I'll be there hopefully around 7:30.
posted by Errant at 6:08 PM on March 1, 2016

I'll be there.
posted by ShooBoo at 6:51 PM on March 1, 2016

I'm coming for sure. And I want to be on the cool team that wins it all. Winning the G and D Quiz is a lifelong dream of mine.
posted by Slarty Bartfast at 7:25 PM on March 1, 2016 [1 favorite]

I am no longer coming, because I was in a car crash and the car was totaled and I got so discombobulated that I forgot all about this. I'm sorry! I will definitely be there next week...in a shiny rental car.
posted by corb at 8:08 PM on March 1, 2016

Eek! Corb! Are you okay?
posted by palmcorder_yajna at 8:11 PM on March 1, 2016

Also: Y'all should post score updates. I may not be there, but I'm still HEAVILY invested.
posted by palmcorder_yajna at 8:12 PM on March 1, 2016 [1 favorite]

I probably should have led with that! Yeah, I have crazy bruises and a rope burn from hell where the seatbelt cut into my side, but the airbag deployed fine and so I'm okay. Wojtek is also okay - he was in the car but didn't stiffen and so was fine, and some really nice Good Samaritan with a cargo van pulled over and let me put him in while we waited for the cops.
posted by corb at 8:15 PM on March 1, 2016 [1 favorite]

Very glad to hear you're all ok. It sounds like a real bad one. Please do keep us updated when you have time and space, and we're thinking about you.
posted by Errant at 8:50 PM on March 1, 2016 [1 favorite]

First, corb: all our thoughts are with you, shout out if you need any thing.

Second: my winless streak at the G and D continues, though I am impressed with my fellow Mefites' breadth of useless knowledge.

Third: the motherfucking talus is in the *foot*, the "ankle" is a joint and joints by definition do not contain bones, they are spaces between bones.
posted by Slarty Bartfast at 10:07 PM on March 1, 2016 [2 favorites]

I suppose it's good that someone else won for once; that way the thing doesn't look fixed. ON TO NEXT WEEK!
posted by palmcorder_yajna at 11:00 PM on March 1, 2016 [2 favorites]

Quiz Night 4
posted by Special Agent Dale Cooper at 1:56 PM on March 2, 2016

This thread has been archived and is closed to new comments