SAA hangs in Cleveland this August
posted June 23, 2015 12:54 PM   RSS

Anyone going to SAA in Cleveland this year? I don't know the landscape of restaurants/bars/etc. there, but it would be fun to hang out with other MeFites either local to Cleveland or attending the conference. Sometime Thursday-Friday-Saturday 8/20-22 would work for me.
posted by witchen to Proposed (9 comments total)

I'm not, but I'm archivist friendly and would be up for a GTG!
posted by chesty_a_arthur at 3:09 AM on June 24, 2015

I'm a local, not attending the conference, but would be glad to meetup if I'm available.
posted by fizzix at 5:55 AM on June 24, 2015

Awesome! Any recommendations for places to go?
posted by witchen at 7:51 AM on June 24, 2015

I'm a local (also not attending) who might be interested in a meetup. There are tons of things to do in Cleveland, so we might be better at making recommendations if you can tell us where the conference is.
posted by Tehhund at 10:48 AM on June 24, 2015

Googling, it looks like the Renaissance, so Public Square.
posted by snarkout at 2:31 PM on June 24, 2015

That block of restaurants/bars on E. 4th would probably be most convenient, I guess? Or maybe Detroit Shoreway.
posted by snarkout at 2:34 PM on June 24, 2015

(If you head up to Detroit Shoreway, I think a visit to Cleveland's universally beloved dogs-and-tots joint, the Happy Dog, would be fun for visitors and locals alike, but it's a bit further from Public Square and I don't know if people attending the conference expect to rent cars etc.
posted by snarkout at 3:09 PM on June 24, 2015

Another local down for a meetup in theory; unfortunately, in practice, summer is the busy season for me, so my usually irregular and erratic work schedule becomes even more so. So I'll have to be a "maybe" up until I actually walk in the door.

If you're downtown, some of "where to go" might depend on your transportation options - our public transportation system can, IME, leave much to be desired if you're not traveling to (or in) a relatively small number of areas during more-or-less regular business hours. If you've got access to a car then the whole metro area is your oyster.

Also worth noting - I luuuuuurve the Happy Dog, but they almost always have loud-ish bands Wed/Thurs through Sunday from 9 pm on. If that's not your thing, but you still want a dog (and tater tots!), they open for lunch @ 11 am Thurs-Sun.
posted by soundguy99 at 6:10 PM on June 24, 2015

I can't speak for other attendees (and yes, the conference will be at the Renaissance at Public Square) but something like the Happy Dog sounds great. Especially since I'll probably have a car. Maybe tentatively plan on that and the specific date/time will emerge soon.
posted by witchen at 9:31 AM on June 25, 2015

This thread has been archived and is closed to new comments