St Paul, MN
posted April 8, 2015 7:27 PM   RSS | iCal | +googleCal

Wed April 29 at 6:00 PM, Sweeney's Saloon
96 Dale Street North, Saint Paul, MN, USA (Map & Directions)
Our family is checking out the St Paul area to relocate from NC, and we're going to be in town for two weeks. We'd love to chat over drinks at Sweeney's. Meet us in the Ashland room inside, by the bar. You can let them know you're with the Metafilter group.
posted by odinsdream to Meetup (26 comments total)

I wouldn't suggest doing the May Day parade for a meetup (too many people, much confusion), but you should still check out the May Day parade if you're in town.

Otherwise, I can't think of anything.
posted by dinty_moore at 6:02 AM on April 9, 2015

I can't join you, but I think you'll really love STP when you move there!
posted by wenestvedt at 6:12 AM on April 9, 2015 [1 favorite]

Do you have a neighborhood in St. Paul you're leaning towards yet? I think that maybe meeting for a dinner near there might be nice.
posted by TrishaLynn at 12:16 PM on April 9, 2015

We're staying in Bryn Mawr and our friends are in West St Paul near High Bridge.
posted by odinsdream at 1:17 PM on April 9, 2015

I like beer and saint paul. Sweeney's has a very accomodating patio for groups if it's nice out. I'm a 'maybe' until a firm date is set, and will be out of town on the weekend of the 25th.

Let us know if you have other questions about what to do/see.
posted by Think_Long at 1:56 PM on April 9, 2015

Mac-Grove is a good neighborhood with a wide mixture of housing stock, from apartments & condos to duplexes to single-family (there's even a double-wide on my block, but it took me a while to realize it because the owner has done a good job of landscaping and such). Good mix of people, too. My daughter and her family live here as well as my sister and her family. I'm going to be out of town during that time, but I hope you find what you're looking for.
posted by Mental Wimp at 5:07 PM on April 9, 2015 [1 favorite]

The St. Paul Art Crawl is also going on at that time.
posted by triggerfinger at 9:14 PM on April 13, 2015 [1 favorite]

I'm a maybe depending on dates.

Don't really know St. Paul's West Side well enough to recommend anything there, but pretty much everything in DT/Lowertown St. Paul is mostly chill: Amsterdam could be a good pre-or-post-Art Crawl destination or just a place to hang one evening. Black Dog Café is also nice, though it can get crazy during Art Crawl.

Otherwise, Sweeney's sounds fun, too!
posted by substars at 8:44 AM on April 15, 2015 [1 favorite]

I am brand, brand new to St. Paul (this is me, and I just moved here this week). I don't know enough to suggest a place, but I would be willing to come, if I'm free that day!
posted by heurtebise at 5:42 PM on April 16, 2015

Any decisions? Sweeney's would get my vote for the patio, since it's supposed to warm back up a little this weekend (if you do the weekend).
posted by schnee at 7:51 AM on April 20, 2015

How about Wednesday the 29th at Sweeney's, sometime in the evening say around 6 or 7 PM ?
posted by odinsdream at 6:57 AM on April 21, 2015

Works for me!
posted by dinty_moore at 2:24 PM on April 21, 2015

Awesome, any others??
posted by odinsdream at 2:34 PM on April 21, 2015

I will be there. That's right in my neighborhood.
posted by heurtebise at 3:33 PM on April 21, 2015

Perfect, we would love to talk to you about how your relocation experience went.
posted by odinsdream at 4:55 PM on April 21, 2015

huertebise -- Hello neighbor.
posted by nathan_teske at 6:50 PM on April 21, 2015

I can't make it on a weekday, but I hope there's a good turnout and you get your new-to-town questions answered!
posted by schnee at 10:21 PM on April 23, 2015

Seems like Sweeney's only takes reservations for 10+ groups. If any of the "maybe" attendees could confirm, that'll help us out. If it's a small group we can just grab a table.
posted by odinsdream at 7:59 PM on April 24, 2015

I might be a bit late - if all goes well, I'm signing a lease tomorrow.
posted by dinty_moore at 7:40 AM on April 28, 2015 [1 favorite]

Bah, can't make it tonight unless things go late. Have fun, St. Paul is great (and that's coming from a Minneapolitan!)
posted by substars at 1:21 PM on April 29, 2015

I am getting out of work a bit late, so I will probably be there around 6:20.
posted by heurtebise at 3:28 PM on April 29, 2015

Heading over now, probably ten mins out . Have fiance in tow. Wearing brown cardigan and a red shirt
posted by dinty_moore at 3:58 PM on April 29, 2015

Are folks outside? Am I the first here?
posted by dinty_moore at 4:12 PM on April 29, 2015

In the back behind the bar. The Ashland room.
posted by odinsdream at 4:17 PM on April 29, 2015 [1 favorite]

I'm so sorry I couldn't make it - I ended up having to work late. I hope everyone had a good time and that we can do it again sometime soon!
posted by triggerfinger at 6:46 AM on April 30, 2015

It was great to meet everyone! Thanks to all for the great info about the immediate area and Minnesota in general.
posted by odinsdream at 11:17 AM on April 30, 2015 [1 favorite]

This thread has been archived and is closed to new comments