We moved to St Louis! BE OUR FRIENDS
posted September 5, 2013 1:29 PM   RSS | iCal | +googleCal

Wed September 11 at 7:00 PM, The Royale
3132 South Kingshighway Boulevard, St. Louis, MO, USA (Map & Directions)
Hi! I just moved to St Louis along with the wonderful mefite known as likeatoaster. We are living in Tower Grove East, and would like to meet you fine people! We're calling this meetup for Wednesday evening, 7 PM, at The Royale (largely because it was bandied about as a potential meetup spot in the last STL IRL thread, though I'm willing to change venues if y'all can make a compelling case for it; I know, like, nothing about this area). Come say hello! Tell us Northeasterners what's rad in this city! Show us pictures of your cats! Teach us the local slang, like how you say "hamburgers" instead of "steamed hams"! Pat our shoulders encouragingly! Okay!
posted by Greg Nog to Meetup (39 comments total)

my cats want to come too but they don't have mefi accounts (yet) and i had to use the guests indicator to show that my girlfriend is coming, is it ok if i bring 4 cats to a bar
posted by invitapriore at 1:59 PM on September 5, 2013

they're all 21+ in cat years
posted by invitapriore at 2:00 PM on September 5, 2013

Yes! Please hold two cats under each arm. Should you need to take a sip of a drink, just say "straw me" and I'll hold a drink with a straw in it up to your mouth so that you don't have to put down the cats.
posted by Greg Nog at 2:32 PM on September 5, 2013 [2 favorites]

I'll be there. I'll try to bring my wife, too, even if it's a school night.
posted by notsnot at 5:20 AM on September 6, 2013

Whoa...you moved to St. Louis? What bounty of good fortune! (Seriously!)
posted by limeonaire at 5:20 AM on September 6, 2013

(We all talk like that here...be prepared.)
posted by limeonaire at 5:37 AM on September 6, 2013

As of right now, I have the most recent join date out of anyone coming to the meetup! I feel so young! So fresh! So ALIVE
posted by Greg Nog at 7:25 AM on September 6, 2013 [1 favorite]

oh wait, likeatoaster has just informed me that her old screen-name was still more recent than mine. Distinction DENIED.
posted by Greg Nog at 7:47 AM on September 6, 2013

Ooo... Finally a meetup I can attend - and a cat friendly one at that! I'll be there with cat pictures. (My cats are either agoraphobic or on diets, so a fancy eatery isn't the best environment for them.)
posted by Kimothy at 1:16 PM on September 6, 2013

Miss Parrish and I would be delighted to join you folks. See you then.
posted by Kid Charlemagne at 5:57 AM on September 7, 2013 [1 favorite]

Would love to, but alas, work I must.
posted by schyler523 at 9:03 AM on September 8, 2013

Just floating an idea: anybody down for meeting in the softball fields across the street for some wiffleball pre-meetup? Say, at 6pm?

Critical mass for wiffleball is "4 people". I'll bring two, total, requiring at least two more. Not a must.
posted by jjjjjjjijjjjjjj at 3:35 PM on September 9, 2013

I'd probably enjoy the hell out of wiffleball in most circumstances, but in general I sweat like an angry walrus and to be honest am kind of unenthused about the idea of then stewing in it for a few hours. I don't know. I could be convinced.
posted by invitapriore at 5:19 PM on September 9, 2013

That does sound fun, but I'm most likely going to be continuing the slow building-stuff process at my place, so I'm gonna have to pass for tomorrow!
posted by Greg Nog at 4:51 PM on September 10, 2013

I will be picking up my spouse at the downtown Amtrak station with our young kid in tow tonight, so can't come. But we'll wave in your general direction. I think you'll like the neighborhood. Welcome!
posted by homelystar at 11:10 AM on September 11, 2013

limeonaire and I are at the bar waiting for friends of Matt Haughey.
posted by Kimothy at 4:51 PM on September 11, 2013

Okay, now we're outside with notsnot and greeneyedmonster...
posted by Kimothy at 5:06 PM on September 11, 2013

Running fashionably late. See you all in a few.
posted by Kid Charlemagne at 5:38 PM on September 11, 2013

It was nice to meet you all. Thanks for the warm welcome and the local trivia!
posted by likeatoaster at 8:39 PM on September 11, 2013

So good to meet all of you fine people! Here is the MetaGram that got passed around the table!
posted by Greg Nog at 8:51 PM on September 11, 2013 [4 favorites]

Woo!
posted by limeonaire at 9:03 PM on September 11, 2013

Utilititties? It's a family restaurant!
posted by notsnot at 9:17 PM on September 11, 2013

For the kids!

Also, all the talk of slingers put me in a major mood for grease and I just cooked up like a pound or so of fried chicken
posted by Greg Nog at 10:00 PM on September 11, 2013 [3 favorites]

Awwwww shucks. Hi to you all as well
posted by the young rope-rider at 6:05 AM on September 12, 2013

Hello to St. Louis! Kittens say hello, also!
posted by ausdemfenster at 7:42 AM on September 12, 2013

Last night Limeonaire, Kimothy and I decided (in that sort of "we've been drinking, time to bestow executive power" kind of way) that in order to foster more regular meetups we'd put Gregnog in charge. I mean, how can you say no to the new guy? Also, playing into the new guy thing, he's new in town and probably doesn't have a massive list of meetup-worthy locations so we'll have to help him build a list of potential sites. I mean how can you say no to the new guy?!?!?

So call 'em out! Dressel's and Llywelyn's were both floated as being good places. I've heard really good things about the Hwy 61 Roadhouse in Webster.
posted by Kid Charlemagne at 2:46 PM on September 12, 2013 [2 favorites]

I could see Venice Cafe being a good spot! It's decorated all crazy-like and they have a nice big outdoor section.
posted by invitapriore at 3:11 PM on September 12, 2013

Also Kid since you're apparently a member of the St. Louis mefite shadow government maybe we could work out something where I get awarded a "noncompetitive" contract for silly hats, I can be the Halliburton of silly hats
posted by invitapriore at 3:17 PM on September 12, 2013 [1 favorite]

this is just a small sample of what I can bring to the table
posted by invitapriore at 3:19 PM on September 12, 2013

For future meetups I am going to suggest:
1. Civil life brewing
2. First Fridays at the science center
3. The boathouse in Forest park
4. Onesto pizza
5. My backyard.
posted by Green Eyed Monster at 6:11 PM on September 12, 2013 [3 favorites]

Oh yeah, Civil Life is a great idea! Your backyard sounds lovely, too.
posted by invitapriore at 7:29 PM on September 12, 2013

If by "shadow government" you mean "prone to have an idea and then be distracted by something shiny" then YES! I am that thing!

If we do something at a German themed place at the beginning of December, I'll bring the Krampus mask!
posted by Kid Charlemagne at 9:05 PM on September 12, 2013

maybe we could work out something where I get awarded a "noncompetitive" contract for silly hats, I can be the Halliburton of silly hats

I'm afraid I don't cotton much to silly hats; every hat I wear is dead serious.
posted by Greg Nog at 9:10 PM on September 12, 2013 [3 favorites]

Well of course you wear serious hats, you are the Presnident of IRLs.
posted by invitapriore at 9:13 AM on September 13, 2013

Actually, do any of y'all enjoy karaoke? I am prepared to accept that I am alone in my enjoyment of it, but if not I think a karaoke meetup could be fun. There are two places in town that do it, Talayna's and Hamburger Mary's. Talayna's has the better vibe, but it's not as fun as it used to be since the old guard of characters like this dude* got crowded out by a sudden influx of the college-aged crowd that tends to hang out there now.

* I went there a few months ago after a long absence and just happened to luck into being there at the same time as John on one of his now-rare visits there, and when he went up he grabbed the mic and said "you want the best? YOU GOT THE BEST!!" And he was right. It was the best.
posted by invitapriore at 10:08 AM on September 13, 2013

Oh my goodness, I could go for some karaoke! I can't promise I'd be any good, of course, but if we're all there in a spirit of encouragement and goodwill, I'd be delighted to sing with y'all!
posted by Greg Nog at 8:49 PM on September 13, 2013

I don't feel like I'm being too presumptuous when I say that that is the only spirit in which karaoke should be approached! Awesome. THINGS HAVE BEEN SET IN MOTION THIS DAY
posted by invitapriore at 12:37 PM on September 14, 2013

I Nth Civil life as a sweet meetup place, but also add the 4hands tasting room for future consideration.
posted by schyler523 at 2:15 PM on September 14, 2013

I've still never done karaoke. I was about to do it once when we were out with our friend Devin (yes, schyler523, the Devin you probably know by now!), but the night wound down before I got called up...
posted by limeonaire at 9:48 PM on September 14, 2013

This thread has been archived and is closed to new comments