One night of karaoke with item and hugandpint in Portland June 6 - 9
posted May 19, 2013 3:45 PM   RSS | iCal | +googleCal

Thu June 6 at 9:00 PM, Tiger Bar
317 Northwest Broadway, Portland, OR, USA (Map & Directions)
hugandpint and I will be in Portland, Oregon, USA for a spell in June and are interested in putting together a meetup that involves karaoke on either 6/6, 6/7, 6/8, or 6/9. I could get all fancy and actually look up where a good spot to do this might be or I could just ask if anyone has any ideas as to where the best karaoke digs are.
I have found this Karaoke From Hell thing on Thurs 6/6, which is in the always/usually/sometimes interesting live-band-karaoke format, though I know nothing about the location or the band or anything at all in this wild wild world, really.

Anywhere in Portland is likely okay with us. I was a resident of your fine city when I became a Mefite way back in 2002, so I'm comfortable with the place. We're staying in SE, though as it always ends up being let's just say the more (or less) centrally located, the better. We'll have wheels and an engine and steering wheel and stuff.

-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-

OK THIS IS HAPPENING SO YOU NEED TO COME:

We've decided to go with the live band karaoke at the Karaoke From Hell thing on Thursday, June 6th at Tiger Bar (317 NW Broadway) because live band karaoke is the best. They also advertise motorcycle parking, so mathowie and cortex will have a place to park the chopper+sidecar everyone knows they tear around Portland in because they are totally gonna show up because why wouldn't they because it's finally time they both meet the thorn in their side known only as 'item'.

Singing starts at 9:30, so let's say 9:00.
Be there or don't, but please be there. Come meet two really decently awesome Mefites from Texas. If I pissed you off at some point in the past eleven (11) years, then you can even take a swing at me*.

*Note: Please don't actually hit me if you take a swing at me, as I will cry a lot and really, who wants that?
posted by item to Meetup (22 comments total)

The only karaoke I have been to in PDX is a place called (I think) Voicebox, up in NW; Asian-style booth karaoke. Not sure if that is your thing or you would prefer the usual American sort.
posted by curious nu at 6:26 AM on May 20, 2013

We were kinda thinking the American, bar-with-singing kind would be best for a meetup.

If I don't get much response here then I'm gonna just post a confirmation for the aforementioned live band karaoke at Tiger Bar (317 NW Broadway) on Thursday, June 6th so that y'all get notifications about this shit.

My ostentatiously ego-led being is telling me that the Northwest US contingent of Metafilter is curious - and possibly even slightly intimidated - to meet the legendary item while my diffidently insecure self is muttering something in my ear about not being cool enough for the PDX Meetupz Krew.
posted by item at 10:14 AM on May 20, 2013

Voicebox is my go-to karaoke place. There's a bar and rooms of various sizes to accomodate groups. The main thing for me is not having to wait forever to get a chance to sing since your group is always the one that's singing.
posted by turbodog at 10:24 AM on May 20, 2013

Yeah, I'm way familiar with the little-room-style karaoke place. We just figured that karaoke in a bar type setting might be a little/lot better for a social event with a bunch of relative strangers, in that singing isn't the ultimate goal. Rather, socializing is important and stuff. That's right: we're actually interested in meeting you weirdos.
posted by item at 12:01 PM on May 20, 2013

Plus live band karaoke can be a ridiculous amount of fun, especially if you've never played in a real band before.
posted by item at 12:03 PM on May 20, 2013

Half the fun of karaoke is making a total goddamn fool of yourself in front of a room full of strangers. Those little rental rooms completely miss the point. We're not (well, hugandpint and I are not) businesspeople cutting loose somewhere in Greater Asia.
posted by item at 12:09 PM on May 20, 2013

I'm down for this. I am a fan of live band karaoke, wherever I can get it. But regular will do as well.
posted by hugandpint at 12:14 PM on May 20, 2013

I totally sucked the last time I did Karaoke from Hell, but am up for totally embarrassing myself again if I've got the night free.
posted by vespabelle at 12:48 PM on May 20, 2013

I went to karaoke in town some place with a tiki theme. It was packed and it took forever for our songs to come up. Also, the drinks sucked and were full of tiny umbrellas. Anybody else been there?
posted by mimo at 2:38 PM on May 20, 2013

I totally sucked the last time I did Karaoke from Hell, but am up for totally embarrassing myself again if I've got the night free.

Well, it's looking more and more like it's gonna be Karaoke from Hell on June 6th, so free your calendar if it isn't already.

...and as someone who's sung (sang? no, it's sung, right?) in some mighty sketchy-sounding bands, I have a lazy gift for attendants of this meetup. Show up and I'll give you pointers on how to sound great with a live band no matter what your singing voice sounds like. As a bonus, hugandpint is a trained singer and will probably be able to give even better pointers than I can but alas she's on her way home from her work at the moment so further details will just have to wait.

You CAN be a star!!!
posted by item at 4:55 PM on May 20, 2013

The tiki place is the Alibi. I've never been there but Nick and I went to karaoke at the Cheerful Tortoise a couple years ago.
posted by fiercekitten at 6:42 PM on May 20, 2013

I'm not a bar person, so don't let this influence any decisions based on me, but the Oregon Public House sounds pretty cool! Maybe for some future Portland IRL?
posted by aniola at 7:04 PM on May 20, 2013 [1 favorite]

There's also BKK ... http://www.nytimes.com/2013/01/20/magazine/portland-karaoke-scene.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

And Chopsticks, if you enjoy bad food AND singing.
posted by grootless at 7:17 PM on May 21, 2013

Okay, so we've decided to go with the live band karaoke at the Karaoke From Hell thing on Thursday, June 6th at Tiger Bar (317 NW Broadway) because live band karaoke is the best. They also advertise motorcycle parking, so mathowie and cortex will have a place to park the chopper+sidecar everyone knows they tear around Portland in because they are totally gonna show up because why wouldn't they because it's finally time they both meet the thorn in their side known only as 'item'.

Singing starts at 9:30, so let's say 9:00.
posted by item at 1:38 PM on May 31, 2013

Is it too late to mention I might be there with my husband? It so happens we're going on a trip to Seattle and Portland that very week, and initially I thought we'd drive down to Portland from Seattle Friday, but now it looks like we might be able to swing in a night early. My husband loves karaoke and we've never done live band (but I have to warn that his thing is to sing as badly as possible on purpose which is very, uh, divisive). I've never been to a Mefi meet up.
posted by ifjuly at 3:28 PM on May 31, 2013

It's not too late, no way no how - come come come! hugandpint and I are on the plane right now and we'll be there with bells on.
posted by item at 7:17 AM on June 5, 2013

Whoa, I might come to this--I'm visiting Portland from Madison this week, and I was thinking I'd go to the Thorns game tonight, but maybe I'll come meet some fine folks instead.
posted by Vibrissa at 10:20 AM on June 6, 2013

Come. Do it. Come. Come. Sing. You know you want to.

Do it.

Come. Be there. So it. Do it. Come. Do it.

You know you want to.

Come. Sing. Come. Do it. Come. Come. Come.
posted by item at 10:42 AM on June 6, 2013

trying to figure out my song...
posted by vespabelle at 12:35 PM on June 6, 2013

I'm going to Captain Picard Day tonight. A friend of mine runs it and all of you should come, unless you don't like Captain Picard themed art. I will try to drop in at Tiger Bar after.
posted by chrchr at 2:11 PM on June 6, 2013

item: black & white western shirt & black jeans & red bandana
hugandpint: colorful dress w/studded boots
posted by item at 9:05 PM on June 6, 2013

Whew, just got back in tonight. Didn't have an easy way to post before now and just wanted to thank you all for a wonderfully memorable kickoff to our Pacific Northwest adventure. I apologize now if my jaw literally dropping at "Mother" was awkward, and I really loved the appreciation of Violent Femmes going on. Sorry for being painfully shy and dorky, and thanks again for setting it up and comin' out!
posted by ifjuly at 10:28 PM on June 12, 2013

This thread has been archived and is closed to new comments