Boston Mefites, I Am Ready To Meetup
posted July 14, 2012 11:11 AM   RSS | iCal | +googleCal

Sat July 28 at 6:00 PM, People's Republik
878 Massachusetts Ave, Cambridge, MA, USA (Map & Directions)
I want to have a meetup on the 28th. I know nothing about Boston and its strange New England-y ways. Hope me, mefites! EDIT TO ADD: The meetup will be at People's Republik at 6pm!
posted by the young rope-rider to Meetup (43 comments total)

Are you aware that there is already a meetup scheduled for the 26th?
posted by maryr at 1:14 PM on July 14, 2012

Really, rope-rider! Clearly you didn't know that only members of the Cabot, Lodge, and Bulger families can call a meet-up in Boston.

But seriously, for how long will you be up here? If you can't make the 26th I'd be up for at least a drink on the 28th.
posted by benito.strauss at 10:31 AM on July 15, 2012

No, I did not know that! I would love a drink on the 28th. I'm coming down (up?) from NYC on the 27th so the 26th probably won't work, which is too bad because I'd love to meet as many people as possible!
posted by the young rope-rider at 10:51 AM on July 15, 2012

I could probably make the 28th, but I'm not sure what our plans for that weekend are yet. Might have parents coming to visit.
posted by backseatpilot at 11:16 AM on July 16, 2012

FWIW, I wasn't trying to prevent this meetup up from happening. I was trying to point out there was a meetup scheduled for two days earlier and implying that a later date might work better.

That said, I've just realized that I think I have a conflict on the 26th, but the 28th works, I think.

Are you looking for advice as to where to meet and such? Do you have a desired location or general area?
posted by maryr at 7:24 AM on July 17, 2012

Saturdays are about my only free day, so while I can't make the 26th I could make this. I am knowledgable about Cantabrigian ways.
posted by cocoagirl at 11:39 AM on July 17, 2012

Are you looking for advice as to where to meet and such?

Yes!

Do you have a desired location or general area?

No! I don't know anything about Boston at all! I like cheap beer! That's kinda where I'm at in terms of planning. I rely on you, good people of the greater Boston area. I rely on you.
posted by the young rope-rider at 11:47 AM on July 17, 2012

I rely on you.

*cut to long-distance shot of Boston, mushroom cloud expanding over the city*

Where are you staying? Cheap beer downtown might be hard to find, but let me throw some ideas out that may be a little off the beaten path:

-Flash's Cocktails (Copley) - smallish, don't actually remember much about their beer selection, but kind of a cool little neighborhood place
-Jacob Wirth (Theater District) - German restaurant, good European beer selection
-Union Oyster House (Fanueil) - despite being one of the most touristy restaurants in the city, I have never seen more than five people or so in it, ever. I've been able to stop in here on New Year's Eve for a beer without a prior reservation. But yeah, pretty touristy.
-Grendel's Den (Harvard) - probably will be packed on a Saturday, but food is half price around the dinner hours if you buy a drink. They also Pimm's Cups on the menu which are pretty good.
-Sunset Cafe (Allston) - might not be too much of a shitshow since school's out for the summer, but they fill up fast. They have about 300 taps.
-People's Republik (Central Square) - got a little loud the last time we were there but it wasn't too crowded and I don't recall having trouble getting drinks or anything.
-Joe Sent Me (North Cambridge) - my local watering hole. Pretty typical taps, nothing fancy. Really good burgers and steak tips. Usually quiet enough to have a conversation, even on a Saturday night.

There's also the Boston Beer Works, which has a couple locations in the city. They're a chain of brewpubs in the area and the beer is pretty good. The one by North Station may be a better choice if there's a ballgame that night.
posted by backseatpilot at 12:26 PM on July 17, 2012 [1 favorite]

Actually, what about Bukowski's? There was some talk of going there awhile ago, if I remember correctly.
posted by backseatpilot at 12:31 PM on July 17, 2012

Bleh, I kinda vote against Grendel's Den. It's great for students, and I haven't been in a long time so maybe this has changed, but it always seems to be full of house flies. Also, it is in a basement and not the coolest in the summer. I mean, if cheap is the default, there's always Pour House & half price burgers on Saturday, but I REALLY haven't been there since I was a student.

But yes, there's Bukowski's in Back Bay if that's where you're staying and also one in Inman (conveniently located by an ice cream shop) if you're in Cambridge. People's Republik worked out pretty well - it does get crowded, but it has a very good selection of beers for a reasonable price, plus it's a kinda neat place.

And besides all that, if you're coming from NYC, most places should be reasonably cheap. I'd say taps are generally $4.50-6 in Boston and almost everywhere at least has Guinness, Sam, Sam Seasonal, and another assorted relatively local brew.
posted by maryr at 9:42 PM on July 17, 2012

Okay, so I just finalized my plans for a place to stay and I'll be in Newton. Does that help narrow things down location-wise? It seems like the Boston area is pretty compact. I have access to a car and all that.

I'm leaning towards People's Republik or Joe Sent Me.

Thanks again for the help!
posted by the young rope-rider at 11:11 AM on July 20, 2012

Okay, I'm going to go ahead and call it for People's Republik at 6pm unless someone objects in the next ten minutes.

I hope lots and lots of you can make it!
posted by the young rope-rider at 12:17 PM on July 20, 2012

I'll try. Been meaning to check out People's Republik.
posted by bobobox at 5:27 PM on July 21, 2012

Barring any major disasters I'll be there. I've walked by People's Republic a thousand times; it's about time I had a beer there.

BTW, if you're getting to the area early, I'll put a word in for the cold-brew coffee at http://www.1369coffeehouse.com/, just below city hall on Mass Ave. It's my favorite.
posted by benito.strauss at 6:25 PM on July 21, 2012

1369 also makes the best chai, iced or hot.

I'll plan on coming - should I eat dinner first or are folks at all likely to wander down the street one way or the other for food at some point?
posted by maryr at 7:54 PM on July 21, 2012

Does People's Republic not have food? I was planning on getting a Worker's Burger or maybe a Stakh'av'nachos.
posted by benito.strauss at 9:21 PM on July 21, 2012

It's really only themed in name. I've only seen a real Russian in there once and we brought her.
posted by maryr at 8:17 PM on July 22, 2012

I thought they had food?!!? Or I would've picked a different time! I will wander to get food.
posted by the young rope-rider at 8:45 PM on July 22, 2012

It looks like they have food. Lunch-Dinner menu served until 10pm. I must have misunderstood maryr's comment. Or maybe it's because the menu looks pretty basic and there's lots of options in Central and Harvard square. But I haven't had steak tips in a while, so I'll have those at Republic. Unless someone who knows better wants to warn me about something.
posted by benito.strauss at 9:04 PM on July 22, 2012

I'm obsessed with steak tips so I think it would be cool to stay in one spot!
posted by the young rope-rider at 9:41 PM on July 22, 2012

In People's Republik, food have you I loff dis cowntree!!
posted by not_on_display at 2:52 PM on July 23, 2012

not_on_display, I think you may be looking for the Branson, MO meet-up. Say hello to the Mandrell Sisters for me.
posted by benito.strauss at 10:18 PM on July 23, 2012 [1 favorite]

I will phrase it differently. I don't recall ever seeing anyone order food at People's Republik and would be likely to eat elsewhere myself. I just assumed they didn't serve food.
posted by maryr at 9:45 AM on July 24, 2012

No worries. Maybe it's only for the hard working proletariat.
posted by the young rope-rider at 10:05 AM on July 24, 2012

There is a decent chance I will come to this! I am usually on a bike somewhere in Boston or Cambridge around this time on Saturdays anyway so there you go.
posted by FAMOUS MONSTER at 12:54 PM on July 25, 2012

Yay, it is someone famous! <3
posted by the young rope-rider at 1:36 PM on July 25, 2012

I'm a definite maybe, but I really came in here to talk about iced coffee. I've been a regular at the 1369 for a while, but Dwelltime opened up nearby this spring, and their coldbrew is pretty good.
posted by A dead Quaker at 7:18 PM on July 25, 2012

If A dead Quaker came to this meetup it would be the most New England-y meetup ever.
posted by the young rope-rider at 9:03 PM on July 25, 2012

I'm down; The Republik always seems intriguing, as do mefites. :)

And having tasted iced coffee that sparkles in your mouth that discussion is also relevant to my interests.
posted by savagerose at 5:46 PM on July 26, 2012

If A dead Quaker came to this meetup it would be the most New England-y meetup ever.

Do you realize how historically accurate you actually are?
posted by benito.strauss at 7:43 PM on July 26, 2012

I used to be a Quaker! savagerose, I will try to be intriguing if possible!
posted by the young rope-rider at 8:00 PM on July 26, 2012

If anyone fears not getting enough food at P'sR, there's a Food Truck Festival nearby tomorrow as well. 11-4pm. Map.
posted by cocoagirl at 4:08 AM on July 27, 2012 [1 favorite]

Ooh, thanks cocoagirl!
posted by the young rope-rider at 7:02 AM on July 27, 2012

Count me in as a very definite maybe.
posted by Metroid Baby at 7:11 AM on July 27, 2012

YAY! You are back!

I'm on the bus now, in beautiful Stamford.
posted by the young rope-rider at 9:33 AM on July 27, 2012

I've now gotten my co-workers excited about the Food Trucks and will be heading over there Saturday afternoon as well.
posted by maryr at 12:48 PM on July 27, 2012

We might go to the food trucks with Samsky, my baby. He is too little and bourgeois for the People's Republik.
posted by the young rope-rider at 7:07 PM on July 27, 2012

If anyone has a mini USB charger they can bring I'd be much obliged.

I just got a haircut at this little local place called SuperCuts. I love Boston!
posted by the young rope-rider at 12:42 PM on July 28, 2012

I might be a little late — letting the showder die down a bit before heading out.

(That's supposed to say "shower", but the mis-type was just too Boston to correct.)
posted by benito.strauss at 2:37 PM on July 28, 2012

I'm finishing up dinner with the Cocoa Famille and will head over in a bit. I am wearing a unicorn.
posted by cocoagirl at 2:49 PM on July 28, 2012

I may also be slightly late. But I'm on my way now!
posted by Metroid Baby at 2:58 PM on July 28, 2012

En route - waiting forbid at Watertown mall. I am wearing a peacock but it's hard too see.
posted by maryr at 3:13 PM on July 28, 2012

So lovely to meet everyone! What a nice way to visit a new city. I got lost on my way home but not due to your great train directions!
posted by the young rope-rider at 10:03 PM on July 28, 2012

This thread has been archived and is closed to new comments