Lazy Tokyo Meetup 2: Electric Hanami Boogaloo
posted February 14, 2017 12:09 AM   RSS

Our last little meetup went well, so we might as well tempt fate and try it again. We knocked around a few ideas over beers last month, lets hash them out in the comments and see what happens.
March 12 seemed like the best date that everyone could agree on last time. Did everyone (including those who weren't there and therefore couldn't possibly have known about it) keep their calendars open? OK, we've moved on to March 26.

Beyond the date, I think we tossed around various ideas such as: hanami, too early for hanami, meet in a non-peak-hanami park and just call it hanami anyway, do something to bring the whole family, or default to the standard food-beverages-chat-in-a-bar format.

So, we need a time of day, location, and something to do.
(Planning these meetups is super easy for lazy people like me as long as I don't actually decide anything, huh?)

Go!
posted by Gotanda to Proposed (11 comments total)

Thanks for jumping on this. The only thing that I would be concerned about would be weather. Is it going to be warm enough by then? Is the 26th out? I know it's a bit later, and pretty much in the middle of the projected flower worshipping, but chilly hanami weather is a bit nicer than frigid early March weather, especially for outside stuff.
posted by Ghidorah at 2:15 AM on February 15

And yeah, I think it'd be keen if we had a more family friendly thing, blankets, park, potluck, that sort of thing gets my vote.
posted by Ghidorah at 2:16 AM on February 15

Either way. March 26 is fine by me. And, yeah much less likely to be bone chilling.
Keeping my decisive streak going.
posted by Gotanda at 2:59 AM on February 15

We have a couple blankets, some cooler like things, and I'm definitely willing to bring snacks. For me the question is where? I don't know hanamiable parks in Tokyo aside from Ueno (crazy crowded), Yoyogi (see Ueno), and Shinjuku Gyoen (no booze allowed). Granted, there's not likely to be a secret awesome hanami spot in Tokyo that isn't known by half the city, but what options are out there?
posted by Ghidorah at 2:41 PM on February 15

I looked at a sakura forecast calendar that says March 26 should be first blossoms, with peak enfloweration around April 2 this year, so March 26 might be less crowded than the following weekend.

In my experience, it's always colder at hanami than you expect it to be, so I would advise everyone to dress more warmly than you think you need to.

As for location, unlike Ueno Park, I've never found Yoyogi to be too crowded, other than the long lines for the toilet. Yoyogi also has the advantage that I almost always run into people I know who are at other hanami parties.

A more off-the-beaten-track location is the canal-side path between Yotsuya and Ichigaya stations, which has the advantage of being central and having good transportation from those two stations. Also, Aoyama Cemetery is quite nice, and is also quite central - more spacious than Yotsuya but less well serviced by transport.

I would also be up for an indoor event, or a short picnic followed by a bar.
posted by Umami Dearest at 7:24 PM on February 15

I've got a gig that night, so it's a little tight, but if any of you Mefipeople wanna come to it, after the meetup, it's free. At What the Dickens in Ebisu (lotsa pints on tap, pub food, etc). Details are at my website here. Cheers.
posted by flapjax at midnite at 2:44 PM on February 16

I may or may not be able to go on March 26 -- I won't know for sure until around February 25. If I can go, I'd rather go with 3/26 than 3/12.
posted by Bugbread at 8:45 PM on February 16

Sounds like the 26th is better. The tricky part is where. Looks like flapjax' gig is 14:00-17:00 so a lunchtime picnic would work well for those who want to go catch that. How about Nakameguo Park? Not far from Ebisu? Lots of sakura along the Meguro river.
posted by Gotanda at 4:51 PM on February 18

Wait, uh, I've been dumb. The 26th is no good for me, Punkspring calls. Sorry for the confusion.
posted by Ghidorah at 2:39 AM on February 19

So, uh, even if I can't make it (and really, I feel pretty bad about suggesting the 26th and then remembering that I can't make after almost a week had gone by), Mrs. Ghidorah (who worked in Nakameguro last spring) had to suppress a shudder when I asked her about Nakameguro in Hanami time, in that it's one of the more popular/shoulder-to-shoulder Hanami spots around. For the close to Ebisu thing, Yoyogi is also pretty close, though likely just as crowded. Aoyama Cemetary is gorgeous, though yeah, a bit of a walk from train stations.
posted by Ghidorah at 5:12 PM on February 21

Sundays are difficult for me (as opposed to Saturdays) but I'll be able to make more of a decision closer to any set dates.
posted by lesser weasel at 5:15 PM on February 23

You are not currently logged in. Log in or create a new account to post comments.