Chicago meetup with out-of-towners, April 19!
posted March 3, 2014 6:21 PM   RSS | iCal | +googleCal

Sat April 19 at 7:00 PM, The Long Room
1612 Irving Park Road, Chicago, IL, USA (Map & Directions)
Hey, Chicago! Have you ever wanted to assassinate me? NOW'S YOUR CHANCE because i am going to be NEAR ENOUGH TO POISON. It's all going down at the Long Room, 7 pm on the 19th!
posted by Greg Nog to Meetup (129 comments total) 3 users marked this as a favorite

Can someone please bring the magic box I live in to this one?
posted by griphus at 6:27 PM on March 3, 2014 [2 favorites]

I don't care where this is, I will be there, and I'll bring my magic box of griphus when I do.
posted by phunniemee at 3:59 AM on March 4, 2014 [2 favorites]

YES.

Where are you guys gonna be staying? Downtown or a neighborhood?
posted by misskaz at 7:02 AM on March 4, 2014

We are staying downtown not far from the pier, but are happy to take public transit and/or drive basically anywhere.
posted by likeatoaster at 7:22 AM on March 4, 2014

By the way, my favorite part of that picture is how I have my ear up to the side of the ipad that doesn't have any speakers like a dumbshit.
posted by phunniemee at 7:34 AM on March 4, 2014 [1 favorite]

I can also bring a Magic Box of griphus, since I need to actually meet him. (because he is the best)

We should bring multiple magic boxes because that would be kind of amazing.
posted by bibliogrrl at 8:20 AM on March 4, 2014 [1 favorite]

I thought this was the Magic Box that griphus lives in
posted by baniak at 8:29 AM on March 4, 2014 [1 favorite]

We are staying downtown not far from the pier

Uh, oh, prepare for a possible Goating.
posted by adamdschneider at 9:08 AM on March 4, 2014

I was thinking Cheesies off of the Belmont red/brown line stop or if it's open by then, My Big Cheese Poutinerie. Maybe I just have delicious cheese on the brain though...
posted by garlic at 9:59 AM on March 4, 2014

Can't make a meetup because I have a show at Cobra Lounge that night, but feel free to stop by if you like to fucking rock.
posted by evisceratordeath at 10:37 AM on March 4, 2014 [2 favorites]

I thought this was the Magic Box that griphus lives in

That one is a timeshare.

However, as a member of the most privileged class of incorporeal beings, I also occupy a beachfront phylactery in Monte Carlo.
posted by griphus at 11:42 AM on March 4, 2014 [1 favorite]

prepare for a possible Goating.

I'd be happy to do our meetup as the monthly Goat thing you people do (we're right nearby, I think), but I'm also open to other suggestions! I would put in a suggestion for any place that has a good beer selection!
posted by Greg Nog at 5:47 PM on March 4, 2014

If you want a good beer selection, Goat is not the best idea. Plus on a Saturday I'm not sure it would even have the attributes that make it a good Wednesday meetup spot (namely, not crowded).

Ideas for good beer bars that could be good for a meetup if we go early enough to beat the later Saturday crowds:

Long Room (brown line accessible and also decent street parking)
The always mentioned in every Chicago AskMe Hopleaf (red line accessible, slightly less decent street parking)
Map Room (blue line accessible)
Quenchers (blue line accessible)
posted by misskaz at 6:02 PM on March 4, 2014

No go for me: I'll be doing 20x2 Chicago that night at Schuba's from 7pm to 9pm. I could probably meet up afterward, though!
posted by eamondaly at 6:49 PM on March 4, 2014

I guess Delilah's is the only thing nearish to Schuba's and transit. So, I vote for Long Room, as I've never been there and Brown or Red is easier than Blue for me!
posted by crush-onastick at 7:52 PM on March 4, 2014 [1 favorite]

A Chicagoan has told me that Howells and Hood has good beer and is right near where we're staying and near the Billy Goat? Confirm/deny?
posted by Greg Nog at 6:26 AM on March 5, 2014

I have never heard of Howells and Hood. I would be pleased with Long Room for the entirely selfish reason that it is two blocks from my apartment. They also had Bourbon County Stout last time I was there, and SpiffyRob and I cleaned them out of it (I think a whole five bottles).
posted by adamdschneider at 7:02 AM on March 5, 2014 [2 favorites]

Howells and Hood is across the street from my office (and the Billy Goat), and my office had our holiday party there. They do indeed have a huge beer selection and pretty good food. But they are expensive and very sterile/touristy. The place just opened last summer so it doesn't exactly have what I would call Chicago character. I don't know what it's like on weekends in terms of crowding - the night of our holiday party was a Friday and by the time we wrapped up around 8pm the bar was packed. IF by some miracle the snow has melted by April and it's warm enough out, they do have a large outdoor seating area.

If staying downtown appeals, there's also Local 22, a bar by the same owners of our beloved Blue Frog, which is just 1 block from the Goat and has a good beer list (usually 20 or so on tap) and is more affordable. Might be better for a bigger crowd than Howells&Hood, although again not sure on Saturdays what it's like. If we stick around late enough, there's karaoke too. :)
posted by misskaz at 7:21 AM on March 5, 2014

I would love to go to Long Room. They have an excellent beer list. (also selfishly it's really close to home/transit for me. :D)
posted by bibliogrrl at 7:56 AM on March 5, 2014

Wait, are we neighbors? You should come over for dinner sometime!
posted by adamdschneider at 9:13 AM on March 5, 2014 [1 favorite]

Oh, no! I'll be here, but will be hosting a seder that evening. You should all come. There will be much revelry. And much wine drinking.
posted by BevosAngryGhost at 2:45 PM on March 5, 2014

Whoa, Local 22 is right near where we're staying. That might be good. Also karaoke might be good? Has anyone had bad experiences there? (curses, jackalopes, fleas, etc)
posted by Greg Nog at 6:31 PM on March 5, 2014

I eat lunch at Local 22 pretty regularly, and have definitely had some fun evenings there too. We (I and some other Mefites) know a few of the staff. The crowd can be a leeeettle douchey sometimes, but that's really just the nature of the neighborhood and would be pretty impossible to avoid on a Saturday downtown. If we get there early enough (I can check with the staff and get a feel for what "early" would mean) we should be able to stake out some tables in a corner and not be affected too much by the doucheyness anyway. The mac and cheese bites are evil and delicious.

Bonus points (?): it was on Bar Rescue.
posted by misskaz at 9:16 AM on March 6, 2014 [1 favorite]

I should mention that at our meetup last night it sounded like the locals were hoping for Long Room, but personally I would defer to our out-of-town guests. Would be nice for others to chime in on it!
posted by misskaz at 9:17 AM on March 6, 2014 [1 favorite]

Long Room is fine by me! Maybe 6? 7? What would be a good time for beating a Saturday night crowd? Feel free to chime in, y'all!
posted by Greg Nog at 11:47 AM on March 6, 2014

I think I had dinner at Howells and Hood with some visiting folks a short while ago. It was fine--food was good, seating was generous, but it was tourist-priced.

Compared to the Goat, Howell's and Hood has an amazing beer list, but compared to the places most of TINCC go regularly, it's just sort of an adequate beer list--as I recall there was not anything I drink on the list (but you all know I drink, like, four beers). So, I'd say if MagMile are your parameters, H&H is fine, but Local22 is more relaxed and I'm voting for the place I've never been, Long Room, namely.
posted by crush-onastick at 3:14 PM on March 6, 2014

If you come to the Long Room I will regale you with tales of my long sword fighting, which I know you are just fucking dying to hear.
posted by adamdschneider at 3:47 PM on March 6, 2014 [3 favorites]

Long Room doesn't have food, which is something to keep in mind. I would be fine with like a 7 or 8 pm start, giving folks who want to time to eat beforehand, and those who don't can always order pizza to be delivered to the bar or get something else to eat in the area. (There's a Popeye's next door, or one or more of the tamale guys usually comes to Long Room with awesome homemade tamales.)
posted by misskaz at 7:41 AM on March 7, 2014

RIGHT ON
posted by Greg Nog at 4:23 PM on March 7, 2014

Pizza at Long Room with possible tamales? Sounds good to me!
posted by lunastellasol at 4:57 PM on March 7, 2014

So...is there a reason this says "Friday, March 14th"?
posted by adamdschneider at 10:17 PM on March 7, 2014

That is an excellent question.
posted by crush-onastick at 7:46 AM on March 8, 2014

well, heavens, i'm sure i don't know what you're talking about, and i have never made a mistake
posted by Greg Nog at 8:53 PM on March 8, 2014 [2 favorites]

God. If we go to Long Room you can all just get POPEYE'S! It's next door!

ack gross eww
posted by bibliogrrl at 12:44 PM on March 12, 2014

(and of course I didn't read all of Kaz's post and missed that she mentioned gross gross Popeye's)
posted by bibliogrrl at 12:45 PM on March 12, 2014

i... actually love popeye's.
posted by misskaz at 8:02 AM on March 13, 2014 [1 favorite]

I believe the last time I had Popeyes was the night my grandparents took me to see Apollo 13 at the Ford City Mall. God, it must have been...two, maybe three weeks ago.
posted by Iridic at 8:24 AM on March 13, 2014

I live two blocks from Popeye's, and I want to love it so much because I love fried chicken and it would be so convenient, but it does not work for me for reasons I've yet to figure out. I do like it their biscuits (which is like saying I like to breathe) and when they have it, chicken fried steak. And now you know if you ever are in the neighborhood visiting me and feel the need to pick me up something from Popeye's.

Speaking of, I also live two blocks from the Long Room! So I'll see you there next month!
posted by MCMikeNamara at 10:10 AM on March 13, 2014

The last time i had Popeye's was a few years back, when I was planning on running the Philadelphia Marathon the next day. I was like, "oh! I should carb-load!"

So I called up my ex-gf, who loved Popeye's, and asked her what I should get, and she was like, "uh... the beans and rice? Also I haven't talked to you in months, what the fuck"

So then I ate Popeye's and drank beer but the next day my ilio-tibial syndrome got real bad and I had to drop out partway through the marathon. Naturally, I blame my ex.
posted by Greg Nog at 10:43 AM on March 13, 2014

I totally love that chicken from Popeye's.
posted by eamondaly at 11:57 AM on March 13, 2014

Hi, my name is Jen and I have never eaten at Popeye's. AMA.
posted by phunniemee at 12:04 PM on March 13, 2014 [1 favorite]

THE GUIDE TO FRIED: OPINIONS ON CHICAGO'S CHICKEN FROM A DEEP FRY ADDICT

THE FAST FOOD BRACKET: WINNER: POPEYES

Popeye's The hypermuscular chicken parts from freakishly bred chickens are plumped with an excess of saline solution; the meat suffers from a watery juiciness and saltiness. However, the spice mixture in the breading is on point, those crispy biscuits taste like gargling movie theatre popcorn butter, and the red beans and rice is dope.

KFC The chicken has the same shortcomings as Popeye's, but without the spicy breading to make up for it. The Colonel's only advantage is that his mashed potato gravy doesn't have weird little meat bits floating in it that kind of look like the dehydrated beef I always shake off the top of my Cup of Noodle.

THE SOUL FOOD DIVISION: WINNER: MACARTHUR'S
It should be noted I haven't been to Ruby's Kitchen yet. Who wants a fried chicken date?

MacArthur's It's Obama's favorite restaurant, and who are you to argue? You have better taste than the man who married Michelle? In addition to superlative fried chicken (that stands up to any fried chicken in the Hipster Fried Chicken League), there's bbq baked chicken, beef short ribs, cornbread, cabbage, greens, peach cobbler, banana pudding, black eyes peas, macaroni and cheese, yams creating a brown sugar slick across your plate, dresssing, and much more, and it is delicious and so incredibly difficult to not just order everything.

Pearl's Place The actual chicken is not quite as juicy or flavorful as MacArthur's, but is still extremely good; it's down in Bridgeport, and a nice long Sunday bike ride if you're the kind of person who has to consume 10,000 calories after biking fifteen miles (me). I like the decor, which is all paintings and portraits and art depicting notable figures in Black History.

Chicago's Home of Fried Chicken and Waffle Listen, I'm not one to complain when I'm eating fried chicken and a waffle, but the chicken here is very dry and the sides are pretty bland and perfunctory. If you have to eat this fried chicken, try it smothered with onions and gravy.

THE HIPSTER FRIED CHICKEN LEAGUE: WINNER: SMALL'S / LEGHORN

Small's BBQ The dark brown, crunchy breading is incredibly spicy and flavorful, and somehow it's still crisp and even more flavorful eaten cold out of the fridge the next day. And you will have some left over the next day, because unlike the other hipster fried chicken restaurants they actually give you a ton of food for your money. Small's is meant to be eaten while hanging out at the old school lesbian bar next door, Lizard's Liquid Lounge, while the bar pitbull (a total doll) lays at your feet and the bartender serves up ice cold Schlitz in vintage glasses. Bonus: the ribs are also incredibly, heart-rendingly delicious.

Leghorn Chicken A new addition to the town's fried chicken game, Leghorn is kind of like the fancy Chick-fil-a, except they donate 2% of their profits to organizations that support gay rights. I've only been there once, so I can't review the entire menu, but you get a decent amount of food for the money (not as much as Small's, waaaaay more than what you get from the other places in this category). The Nashville Hot chicken is seriously spicy, and makes for an excellent biscuit sandwich. The housemade pickles are flavorful and crunchy. I'm not sure I'd eat their biscuits on their own, but they're very good in a sandwich context, and they also bake their own buns which I can't wait to try with their Pickle Brined chicken. Try the hush puppies with a side of their spicy mayo.

Honey Butter Fried Chicken The prices are fucking ridiculous, the portions are insulting, I've ordered side dishes there that were completely inedible and gross, and the chicken isn't any better than Leghorn or Small's. Fuck this place and fuck their hype.

Parson's Are you going for the negroni slushies, or the "elbows in your face" atmosphere, or the long waits, or the fish? That's fine. But don't go for the chicken; it's absolutely no better than MacArthur's/Small's and you get way less for your money. I thought that maybe my anxiety disorder was unfairly biasing me (I am not cool with a lot of people being packed into a space with me), so I tried getting take out: it was $30 for two people (before tip, no delivery charge, no drinks!), took half an hour to make, wasn't actually that much food, and they couldn't even throw in a napkin or two. Fuck this place.

I would add a Korean fried chicken category, but unfortunately I haven't had it from enough different restaurants to make comparisons. Crisp is the shit though.
posted by Juliet Banana at 9:13 AM on March 14, 2014 [6 favorites]

I forgot about Church's! Church's Chicken is the jam, y'all. The only one I know of is out in Austin though, and if I biked to Austin I'm already on my way to MacArthur's, so....
posted by Juliet Banana at 9:16 AM on March 14, 2014

Thank you for this. MacArthur's is close to me and I have not been.

I would add Dell Rhea's Chicken Basket, formerly on the old Route 66 now tucked away behind the Willowbrook off ramp on 55. Pretty amazing chicken. Big U shaped bar where patrons eat baskets of chicken livers whilst drinking cheap beer and yelling about sports over loud TVs.
posted by readery at 9:25 AM on March 14, 2014

There is actually a Church's in the pedway near my building at work, which I only discovered yesterday, and now that you've reminded me, I'm probably going to go there for lunch. Thanks!
posted by MCMikeNamara at 9:30 AM on March 14, 2014

You left off Krispy Krunchy Chicken, therefore your list is invalid.
posted by eamondaly at 9:33 AM on March 14, 2014 [1 favorite]

Which stretch of the Pedway, Mike? This subterranean Church's doesn't seem to register on Google.
posted by Iridic at 9:37 AM on March 14, 2014

It is actually a Brown's, which is definitely not the same thing, and I was made very sad by this realization. Chicken, I have opinions!
posted by MCMikeNamara at 10:16 AM on March 14, 2014

Here on Metafilter, we all have chicken opinions.
posted by Juliet Banana at 10:45 AM on March 14, 2014

Brown's is fantastic, and brought joy to my life when I worked above that pedway spot. Their fried mushrooms are made of happiness.
posted by BevosAngryGhost at 10:46 AM on March 14, 2014

Krispy Krunchy Chicken is better than it has any right to be. And I mean that as fast food chicken, not even taking into account it's gas station fast food chicken. But they will make it fresh for you if you ask (even if they have stuff in the warming trays) and it's really, really, really good. And they deliver. The honey butter biscuits are amazing.
posted by misskaz at 11:05 AM on March 14, 2014 [1 favorite]

I might actually take the train down from Milwaukee for this, if I can crash on someone's couch.
posted by desjardins at 5:06 PM on March 14, 2014 [1 favorite]

Guys imma be there
posted by shakespeherian at 6:12 PM on March 14, 2014 [3 favorites]

I have heard many good things about Crisp, but although it's in the hood, I've never been there. I have been to Chicken Hut, which is also in the hood, but not fried. I don't think I've had fried chicken since the 70's.
posted by crush-onastick at 6:43 PM on March 14, 2014

Crisp is the best. Shame on you for not going there when it's like a 5 minute walk away.
posted by adamdschneider at 8:34 AM on March 16, 2014 [1 favorite]

I am beginning to seriously doubt my commitment to fried chicken.
posted by shakespeherian at 10:09 PM on March 16, 2014 [2 favorites]

Appropos of nothing other than meeting up in Chicago, some guy resembling Spiffy was wandering down an oddly changed Belmont Avenue in the vaguely uninteresting dreams I was having last night. Man, whatever happened to that guy?
posted by crush-onastick at 6:31 AM on March 19, 2014

desjardins, I have an entire guest room with a bed and everything you can crash on if you want. The only caveat is that I live on the lower west side, kind of in the opposite direction from where the action is, so you might not be into that. But you're welcome if interested!
posted by phunniemee at 6:41 AM on March 19, 2014 [1 favorite]

You would have to pick my wife's birthday.

I said at the last meetup that if it was the Long Room, I might consider steering her there with no mention of the meetup. It would be the perfect ruse--she had a birthday party there and a mutual friend emphatically insisted that I go, which is how I figured out she was interested. So it's our week-before-our-first-date anniversary spot. I'm sure a bunch of drunken strangers from the internet couldn't ruin it.
posted by hydrophonic at 10:17 PM on March 24, 2014 [3 favorites]

well dang that sounds like a challenge

You should come!
posted by Greg Nog at 7:44 PM on March 25, 2014

Oh no I got all excited about this because I still haven't met most of the Chicago mefites and then I realized this is the same night as the Mountain Goats at the Old Town School, and I already have my tickets. Maybe if things go late enough...?
posted by jessypie at 12:27 PM on March 28, 2014

My Popeye's opinion is only my own. I am also a persnickety eater, so there is that.
posted by bibliogrrl at 7:52 PM on March 29, 2014

I don't understand how that fried chicken comparison DIDNT EVEN MENTION HAROLDS
posted by ninjew at 9:44 AM on April 6, 2014

I have heard many good things about Crisp, but although it's in the hood, I've never been there. I have been to Chicken Hut, which is also in the hood, but not fried. I don't think I've had fried chicken since the 70's.

Crisp has great fried monster-chicken wings with delicious korean-ish sauce in massive portions that last me for about 3 meals. My wife gets the Bibumbop which comes in a pretty large bowl and is also good for leftovers. Definite good value. This was our second eye-opening reminder of American portion sizes (our first was burger takeaway from Five Guys where we foolishly ordered two large fries and walked out with pretty much a garbage bag worth of greasy spuds).

I recommend getting delivery from Crisp on a rainy day as it washes the chain smoker funk off of their cycle couriers.
posted by srboisvert at 9:49 AM on April 6, 2014

I went to Crisp last night! On a first date. I got on better with the dudes sitting across from me at the community table, but the food was good so it wasn't a total wash. It's messy, so proceed with caution and moist towelettes.
posted by phunniemee at 11:51 AM on April 6, 2014 [1 favorite]

crisp is definitely a reason I miss chicago. I lived waking distance from it.

the chicken is amazing but I really miss the steak bowl. 3 ingredients: steak, rice, scallions. but I could live on it. so damn good.

really wish I could stick around another week cause this meet sounds awesome.
posted by ninjew at 2:57 PM on April 6, 2014

'and children that is how I met your father at a fried chicken place'
posted by shakespeherian at 5:08 PM on April 6, 2014 [2 favorites]

Any chance we could scare up some nametags with username and first name? I have enormous trouble linking the two with faces. I'm trying to hit desjardins-the-bank up for a t-shirt but no luck yet.
posted by desjardins at 10:50 AM on April 8, 2014 [1 favorite]

I don't understand how that fried chicken comparison DIDNT EVEN MENTION HAROLDS

I expanded it into a full length post here and believe me, this omission was addressed.

It's looking increasingly unlikely I'm going to make it out to this; it's Record Store Day, Insight Tattoo is doing their regular One Tail at a Time fundraiser and I might go get a pizza tattoo to benefit the puppies, Negative Scanner is playing for free at Saki at five, and one of my favorite art galleries, Sideshow, is giving away free beer at the exact same time as this meetup. Sorry I'm so busy and my life is so cool :(((((
posted by Juliet Banana at 7:39 AM on April 9, 2014

Boooooooo to that
posted by Greg Nog at 10:22 AM on April 9, 2014

CUPCAKE NOOOO
posted by shakespeherian at 7:09 AM on April 10, 2014 [1 favorite]

Any chance we could scare up some nametags with username and first name? I have enormous trouble linking the two with faces. I'm trying to hit desjardins-the-bank up for a t-shirt but no luck yet.

Which two Chicago mefites have faces?
posted by srboisvert at 9:13 AM on April 10, 2014 [2 favorites]

Today at work I learned it is very hard to erase your face in a picture if you don't have proper graphic design tools/skills.

So just imagine I had link that said "Not me" and a picture of me without a face.
posted by MCMikeNamara at 3:59 PM on April 10, 2014 [4 favorites]

So, if anyone has the gumption to adjourn for Karaoke later in the evening, Spyner's has pretty good karaoke that starts at 9:30 and is next to the Brown line stop at Lawrence. JUST SAYIN.
posted by bibliogrrl at 2:06 PM on April 16, 2014

I'm not sure you can get me drunk enough to do karaoke. Others have tried.
posted by desjardins at 9:00 AM on April 17, 2014

desjardins - you don't have to DO karaoke. None of us will make you do it if you don't want to.
posted by bibliogrrl at 9:09 AM on April 17, 2014

It's ok, desjardins, I don't karaoke either. But the Chicago crowd is legend.
posted by phunniemee at 9:15 AM on April 17, 2014

and really really good about not making anyone who is not interested in singing sing. But we expect you to cheer.
posted by crush-onastick at 10:12 AM on April 17, 2014

I have already been to Chicago karaoke! At the Korean place! With eamondaly and burnmp3s and a bunch of other people I was too drunk* to remember their usernames**. I remember burnmp3s singing "Creep." The rest of the night was a blur.

*but not drunk enough to sing

**please don't be offended if I've also forgotten your faces
posted by desjardins at 11:42 AM on April 17, 2014

also, you guys are terrible at peer pressure
posted by desjardins at 11:42 AM on April 17, 2014

If eamondaly didn't convince you that singing karaoke is awesome, you are unconvincable.
posted by garlic at 12:35 PM on April 17, 2014

a person can believe that singing karaoke is awesome and yet not want to do it.
posted by crush-onastick at 1:26 PM on April 17, 2014 [2 favorites]

None of us will make you do it if you don't want to.

eamondaly will try his hardest though.
posted by shakespeherian at 1:35 PM on April 17, 2014

desjardins - CafeBong is gone and late and lamented.

Also it has been FAR TOO DAMN LONG since I've done karaoke. Me and baniak need to learn a new duet already.
posted by bibliogrrl at 1:47 PM on April 17, 2014

DOES ANYONE KNOW HOW TO MAKE MY BACK STOP HURTING
posted by shakespeherian at 9:42 AM on April 19, 2014

yes, but you won't be conscious afterwards.
posted by desjardins at 10:18 AM on April 19, 2014

I'm okay with that at this point.
posted by shakespeherian at 10:48 AM on April 19, 2014

I have heavy duty nsaids left over from when my doctor thought I had fractured my toe in my sleep. They're orange and have MUST TAKE WITH FOOD written all over the label, so they must be legit.
posted by phunniemee at 10:56 AM on April 19, 2014

feed them to me

into my face
posted by shakespeherian at 11:09 AM on April 19, 2014

No seriously guys Thursday night I did something Old to my back and it has been stabbing me with dried-up locust legs since then
posted by shakespeherian at 11:12 AM on April 19, 2014

I'm so excited for this, though please forgive me if all I do is moan because packing sucks so bad.
posted by misskaz at 11:32 AM on April 19, 2014 [1 favorite]

also, alas i won't be able to join for late night karaoke-ing thanks to this stupid moving thing. sigh.
posted by misskaz at 11:39 AM on April 19, 2014

I am currently at KFC and I don't care what anybody thinks.
posted by MCMikeNamara at 1:57 PM on April 19, 2014 [3 favorites]

I care that you're eating lunch at 4pm.
posted by shakespeherian at 2:33 PM on April 19, 2014

Greg and I are running a little late due to copious hot dog consumption, but will be there around 7:30.
posted by likeatoaster at 4:13 PM on April 19, 2014

Me and baniak will be heading over soon. Whoever gets there first should try to get space in the back.
posted by bibliogrrl at 4:14 PM on April 19, 2014

Probably around 7:30 for us as well.
posted by misskaz at 4:20 PM on April 19, 2014

I'm here and the back room is ours.
posted by shakespeherian at 4:49 PM on April 19, 2014

Also they're out of the Begyle Brown so let's riot
posted by shakespeherian at 4:52 PM on April 19, 2014

I am putting on clothes and going to catch a cab in a moment
posted by Greg Nog at 4:56 PM on April 19, 2014

I have a very reasonable amount of eyeliner on for a Khal
posted by Greg Nog at 4:57 PM on April 19, 2014 [1 favorite]

I am wearing back pain so I'm easy to spot
posted by shakespeherian at 4:59 PM on April 19, 2014 [1 favorite]

WE ARE IN THE VERY BACK BY THE PHOTO BOOTH
posted by bibliogrrl at 5:11 PM on April 19, 2014

I'm in cyberspace.
posted by griphus at 5:25 PM on April 19, 2014

griph, I have you in my bookbag. Maybe we'll pull you out around 8?
posted by phunniemee at 5:29 PM on April 19, 2014 [1 favorite]

I lied. We want you now. Did we facetime last time?
posted by phunniemee at 5:42 PM on April 19, 2014

Tonight's theme is Skinsuit.
posted by bibliogrrl at 5:42 PM on April 19, 2014 [1 favorite]

The internet hates us. :'(
posted by phunniemee at 5:46 PM on April 19, 2014

That was fun and hilarious. Have fun y'all!
posted by griphus at 6:20 PM on April 19, 2014 [2 favorites]

If any of you are checking in on this, how late do you think you'll keep things going? It's intermission at my show but I could join you in a couple hours. Especially if you're really headed to Spyner's at some point, because I'm at the Old Town School right now.
posted by jessypie at 6:51 PM on April 19, 2014

Hey, Jessypie--no idea. We're all still here and everyone is in high spirits except me. I've made some bad decisions tonight. Mostly biscuit-related.
posted by phunniemee at 7:34 PM on April 19, 2014 [1 favorite]

WE ARE HERE AND DRINKING
posted by bibliogrrl at 8:15 PM on April 19, 2014

Still at the Long Room? I will be there in 20 minutes.
posted by jessypie at 8:42 PM on April 19, 2014 [1 favorite]

There are bar tamales in my purse.
posted by crush-onastick at 9:23 PM on April 19, 2014 [2 favorites]

How is it possible that I like you folks after seeing you even more than I thought possible before seeing you?

Seriously, much love.
posted by MCMikeNamara at 10:42 PM on April 19, 2014 [2 favorites]

It was lovely to meet you all!
posted by Greg Nog at 10:57 PM on April 19, 2014 [5 favorites]

I HATED EVERY MINUTE
posted by shakespeherian at 11:26 PM on April 19, 2014 [2 favorites]

Sorry I missed it! I crashed all at once immediately after the show. Sounds like I missed a great time!
posted by eamondaly at 7:20 AM on April 20, 2014

We talked about your pants for like a solid five minutes.
posted by phunniemee at 8:01 AM on April 20, 2014 [1 favorite]

Photos posted. They just get more and more insane as you go down.
posted by phunniemee at 8:27 AM on April 20, 2014 [1 favorite]

phunniemee I do not know what was in that thing you gave me but I have felt totally fine ever since I took it, so thank you.
posted by shakespeherian at 1:40 PM on April 20, 2014

It was diclofenac and I'm glad it helped! Here's an excerpt from the wikipedia page on the drug:

Use of diclofenac in animals has been reported to have led to a sharp decline in the vulture population in the Indian Subcontinent
posted by phunniemee at 2:23 PM on April 20, 2014 [4 favorites]

I FEEL HORRIBLE
posted by desjardins at 2:46 PM on April 20, 2014

A vulture died that I might live

Happy Easter!
posted by shakespeherian at 4:01 PM on April 20, 2014 [3 favorites]

skinsuits for everyone!
posted by crush-onastick at 6:26 PM on April 20, 2014 [7 favorites]

Oh, hey: The Ten of Swords:
1.5 oz gin (I like to use North Shore but our house well gin--Tanqueray--is fine. Basically, go with a London dry with the citrus, but don't go all wild with a genever but I am curious what an Old Tom would bring to the party)
.5 oz dry vermouth
.5 oz sweet vermouth
.5 oz Laphroiag
posted by crush-onastick at 7:52 AM on April 21, 2014 [5 favorites]

I love that the crush household has a well gin.
posted by garlic at 10:18 AM on April 21, 2014 [3 favorites]

Photos posted. They just get more and more insane as you go down.

I like how in the second set i go from "we are all having fun!" to "I AM EATING A DUDE"
posted by Greg Nog at 9:22 PM on April 21, 2014 [1 favorite]

I am only very slightly visible in one image.
posted by shakespeherian at 11:16 AM on April 22, 2014

This thread has been archived and is closed to new comments