Skip

Scotland Run 10K in Central Park: Team MetaFilter
posted February 27, 2013 9:49 AM   RSS | iCal | +googleCal

Sat April 6 at 7:30 AM, Central Park
USS Maine Monument, Manhattan, NY, USA (Map & Directions)
As part of this year's Tartan Week, NYC will hold the 10K Scotland Run in Central Park on April 6th at 8 AM. Registration is $37 and may be done here, and kilts are encouraged but not necessary. 10K is about 6.2 miles, or: twice as long as a 5K. Can you do this? Yes. Can you run or walk this? Yes. I believe in you.
The run starts at 8 AM, at Central Park's West Drive, near 62nd Street. So let's meet between 7:30 and 7:45 at the USS Maine monument, that big-ass statue-monolith-thing that faces Columbus Circle at the southwest corner of Central Park. I will be holding up a big sign that says "MetaFilter" so strangers/lurkers/well-wishers can recognize the group.

At 7:45 PRECISELY, we can all mosey over to the bag-storage area and put our stuff down with the sign, then mosey over to the starting line. When we're done running, we can all mosey back over to the sign at the bag-storage area and give each other high-fives. (NOTE: though there is an area for storing personal items, security ain't too tight, so you may want to keep phones/wallets on your person; the storage area's more appropriate for, like, a change of clothes or summat.)

Depending on who comes, how many people, what people got goin' on, maybe we could follow the run with a brunch; I know that after completing the run last year, I thought to myself, "Ahhhh... my lungs are full of fresh air, my blood is pumping, and I feel vivacious.. I sure could go for a beer right about now." But we will leave brunch plans up in the air for the moment!

If you're in, then please go register! At some point in the registration process, they will ask if you're part of a "team". YES YOU ARE, BROTHER/SISTER. You can select team name: "MetaFilter"! Does that mean we're going to be competitive? Does that mean we're going to DOMINATE? Oh my no; this is not a race, you guys, we're just here to have fun, good hustle good hustle, you know I came to teach you kids but in the end I think YOU'RE the ones who taught ME a little something about life and that's a lesson I won't EVER FORGET

Out-of-towners are encouraged too! We love you all!
posted by Greg Nog to Meetup (35 comments total) 2 users marked this as a favorite

there is a possibility I'll be out of town, but if I'm not then I'm totally running.
posted by gaspode at 4:20 AM on February 28, 2013

How do i get in on the brunch but not the running?
posted by Potomac Avenue at 6:35 AM on February 28, 2013

Aww man, I'm already signed up for the Colon Cancer 15K on the 7th. Dare I do a doubleheader?
posted by Consonants Without Vowels at 7:02 AM on February 28, 2013

Ach! When I made this, I was like, "Consonants Without Vowels is the only mefite I can think of that might get in on this."

How do i get in on the brunch but not the running?

If there's any kind of critical mass of people on this post, we can extend it into a brunch of some kind; otherwise, it'd probably make more sense to make brunch a separate IRL event. But given the lack of intense interest in the run so far, making run and brunch two separate events may make more sense overall.
posted by Greg Nog at 9:11 AM on February 28, 2013

Where's a good place to get a running kilt that doesn't cause too much chafing?

Also-if the brunch is a separate IRL event it would be worth specifying that ther might be a slight stink from the kilted runners...
posted by Riton at 10:46 AM on February 28, 2013

Fuck it, I think I'm in. I can do 25K in a stretch, so splitting it up over 2 days shouldn't be a big deal. You wouldn't happen to have an extra kilt, wouldja?

Also, since when did MetaFilter have an NYRR team? I could've been winning MetaFilter points this whole time. Or whatever having a team actually does, I dunno.
posted by Consonants Without Vowels at 10:49 AM on February 28, 2013 [1 favorite]

We don't have an official team as part of the NYRR; it just asked me for a team name, and I put in MetaFilter, and lo, it became OFFICAL!

Where's a good place to get a running kilt that doesn't cause too much chafing?

Last year I ran in this kilt that I got off ebay, and it worked great! I didn't notice any chafing, although really, there's very little cloth that got between my legs, so it was pretty much just thigh-on-thigh action the whole way.

You wouldn't happen to have an extra kilt, wouldja?

I do, but I'm not sure if it'd fit? My actual (measured with tape, not vanity pants sizing) waist size is like 34 or 35, and I think you may be thinner?

ther might be a slight stink from the kilted runners...

SMELL US AND BE JEALOUS, NORMIES
posted by Greg Nog at 11:02 AM on February 28, 2013

Oh, yeah, that's not gonna work. Oh well, I'll wear a kilt in spirit.

And whomsoever is worried about chafing, I'd like to introduce you to my friend Body Glide. It works like a charm. In an unrelated note, Thigh-On-Thigh Action is the name of my new dream pop band.
posted by Consonants Without Vowels at 11:19 AM on February 28, 2013 [2 favorites]

... and the liquified powder stuff is a bazillion times better than the stick stuff (which is already good.)
posted by gaspode at 12:10 PM on February 28, 2013

Consonants w/o Vowels: 'Thigh-On-Thigh Action' is the name of my new dream pop band.

SMELL US AND BE JEALOUS, NORMIES, could be the name of the first album.
posted by Skygazer at 1:46 PM on February 28, 2013

I could not run this. I might could walk this. I easily could show up at the start/end for cheering/valuable collection & distribution/brunch eating.
posted by mountmccabe at 5:57 AM on March 1, 2013

OK I registered. Y'all are gonna have to wait for me on the finish line though.

Now I have to find some tartan. My family tartan is the Anderson, but that's ugly as crap.
posted by gaspode at 6:21 AM on March 1, 2013

Last year I ran in this kilt that I got off ebay, and it worked great! I didn't notice any chafing, although really, there's very little cloth that got between my legs, so it was pretty much just thigh-on-thigh action the whole way.

Awesome photos - I love the Scottish/Metallica look. Kilt'em All! (sorry)

Anyway I registered. Officially the first time I'm going to meet people from the internet that are not of the opposite sex. Eeek!

Gaspode - that tartan is close to the metafilter colors don't you think? Are you going to sew it yourself? I may try doing that although I'm not from Scottish descent so I'll just take the tartan from my girlfriend's clan.
posted by Riton at 9:21 AM on March 1, 2013

WOO!!! Four people so far? That's a PARTY!
posted by Greg Nog at 2:44 PM on March 1, 2013

Riton - well, I think I'm the opposite sex from you, but I get what you were going for :) And no, I'm not doing any sewing myself. The only sewing I'm comfortable with is sutures. Probably I'll just wear regular running stuff.

4 is a total party!
posted by gaspode at 5:58 PM on March 1, 2013

i'm pretty much ready to do a 10k whenever but holy moley 7:30am in CP means i gotta get my butt up at 6? on a saturday? *whine*
posted by cristinacristinacristina at 6:18 PM on March 13, 2013

So I really fucked something up in my calf last week, and have been resting it up; I am going to try running tomorrow, and seeing what happens! Wish me luck! I would like to still do this, not least because I've already paid the registration fee.
posted by Greg Nog at 11:50 AM on March 22, 2013

You're still two weeks out... don't overdo it tomorrow and then rest for the week if it feels dodgy.
posted by gaspode at 2:44 PM on March 22, 2013

Hi. I'd be interested in running this as a gauge of my progress in my training for a half-marathon next month. But I'm a decidedly un-bearded, non-Scottish lady who doesn't own a kilt so I'm not sure how well I would fit in. (Though I am open to WEARING a kilt.)
posted by unannihilated at 9:39 AM on March 28, 2013

unannihilated: I am also a lady who will be running with no tartan on my person. Come run!
posted by gaspode at 6:32 PM on March 30, 2013

Well! I hiked like 7 miles on Saturday, then ran 4 miles on Sunday morning, so it's looking like my calf may be okay for 6.2 miles this weekend! Maybe a slightly slower-than-normal 10k, but I think I can still get 'er done.

And yeah, unannihilated, you should totally join!
posted by Greg Nog at 7:52 AM on April 1, 2013

ALSO: Registration closes Tuesday night, at 11:45 PM! Get in while you can!
posted by Greg Nog at 10:15 AM on April 1, 2013

One of my friends is also running the race and I told her to meet me at the same spot, so if there is a confused looking English woman looking nervous about approaching one of y'all that's my friend.
posted by gaspode at 7:18 AM on April 2, 2013

I will give her the "American Welcome"

A handshake and a cowboy hat
posted by Greg Nog at 8:32 AM on April 2, 2013

Oh nooooooo, I missed the registration deadline. Well, good luck, my friends. Another race, perhaps.
posted by unannihilated at 7:57 AM on April 5, 2013

Yes, I did too. Man, life moves too fast...

Good luck with your runs and your badass kilts.
posted by Skygazer at 10:14 AM on April 5, 2013

I bought poster paint to make a sign!

it is blue and yellow!
posted by Greg Nog at 12:04 PM on April 5, 2013

whoops guess i missed it too! dern it.
posted by cristinacristinacristina at 6:05 PM on April 5, 2013

I'm here, with gaspode and friend!
posted by Greg Nog at 4:36 AM on April 6, 2013

can't seem to find you guys, so headin' out; thanks for coming, gaspode and consonants!
posted by Greg Nog at 6:12 AM on April 6, 2013

Yeah, too many people. Good run!
posted by gaspode at 6:19 AM on April 6, 2013

Greg Nog kills it every time.

Kilt, beard, Metafilter signage, the Scottish highlands of my adopted home country.

*Head asplodes*
posted by Skygazer at 12:56 PM on April 6, 2013

Oh, and if I'd ran the whole race at the pace of my last 5 miles, I would have had a PB. But... 7000 runners kind of makes the first mile a little dodgy.
posted by gaspode at 6:11 PM on April 6, 2013

Well, regardless of the time it took for that first mile to get started, congratulations on doing so well with the rest!
posted by Greg Nog at 6:52 AM on April 7, 2013

This thread has been archived and is closed to new comments